• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Hoodedreeper's MX5 - The Purple Monster

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
You'll probably know I had engine fire in my White MX5 Turbo. Currently stripping it down and theres just too much to replace. Not as simple as putting another engine in,every hose has been damaged aswell as the wiring loom. It may have been cost effective to change everything,but having a front and rear fire aswell as an impact both sides,it was time to start fresh.
I hunted locally for a clean Mk1 shell,couldnt find any until someone from MX5 Nutz mentioned he had a mint shell possibly for sale. So with a few phone calls later we had agreed on a deal,and today I took delivery of it.
The car was purchased in Japan,over there it had thousands of pounds spent on it including a highly tuned engine on carbs,Garage Vary body kit,Garage Vary bonnet,centre shotgun exhaust,roll cage and much more! I've been told it was used as a Touge Car while over there.
While it was over there it had a respray (originally Red,arent they all!) in a Honda midnight purple (I've got the colour code wrote down somewhere). The inside has been stripped and the floor and behind the seats have been painted the same colour).
The car was imported to the UK in 2007,and has covered hardly any miles in that time. I believe the shell has only covered 40k and you can certainly see that! Theres not a single spot of rust on her!
The car got sold earlier this year and was stripped and put back to standard form. The car had a Veilside front bumper,which got removed and a stock bumper was refitted,hence why its a different colour,same goes with the bonnet. The engine was removed and a stock 1.6 long nose engine was put in its place.
Plans so far is to fit the HSD coilovers and the carbon fibre panels and who knows from there on!

Looking good, can't wait to see how this one turns out. I think I saw your old one a few times round Norwich before the fire, I suppose all good things must come to an end :(

Good luck with the build !

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
Me and the other half done a fair bit to the 'ol gal today:
HSD Coilovers & Alignment
Carbon Bonnet
Carbon Bootlid
Carbon Plate Panel
Clear Side Reflectors
Smoked Side Repeaters
Offset Plate Bracket
Dished Momo steering wheel
Classic Dash
Cleaned and hovered the interior and boot too

Also had a delivery of a new bumper. A Racing Beat Type 2!

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
My new wheels got delivered today,Japan Racing JR10 15x8j ET15. Conveniently I work next to a tyre fitting company so the tyres from the RKRs were fitted and all was bolted to the car.
Please excuse the dirty car,havent had a chance to wash it due to the crap weather :(

Jass Low-Pro headlights re-fitted along with the HIDs

Also fitted a Runabout Type 2 fuel lid

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
So it seems the bad luck at started with the Purple Monster. Got woken up at 7:40am this morning by my neighbor opposite. He came to tell me he had reversed out of his drive and hit the car. He reverses out of the drive every single morning,how could he not see a car parked the opposite side of the road!
Got some repair quotes and gave them to him,just waiting on getting the money :/

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
Spoke to my Neighbour and he said it'd be cheaper for him to pay his £50 excess and go through insurance :( Been on the phone to both insurance companies,both have the repair quotes and i'm just waiting for it to be confirmed with the Body Shop and I can get it booked it in :)
In the mean time I've done a few bits and pieces.
Replaced the front disc and pads as when coming to a stop there was a grinding noise,fingers crossed this will sort it. Just got the rears to fit.
Fitted the TR Lane Cage last Sunday,and painted it today

MX5OC Region Sticker

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
Done some very quick photos with a friend the other night
10057726923_b154ea80d2_z.jpg

10057665426_4a59518f38_z.jpg

10057725753_51df0136e2_z.jpg

10057663896_ab717d1744_z.jpg

The other half got me a mascot,definately the Purple Monster now!
10057686053_69a5a4c7c4_z.jpg

My MX5Parts Dual Backbox arrived today,also cut the rear bumper too
10057623606_9c9fbcb583_z.jpg

10057588474_d917dd4dc7_z.jpg

Aye definetly!

We'll be a lovely show car!

I've been looking into cheapo mx5s to get into drifting just now, if you know of anyone selling one cheap ;) haha

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
Received confirmation from the Insurance Companies and Body Shop about the repair,and the car is booked in for Monday 21st October.
Got the cage finished and peeled off the stickers/masking tape

Jass Performance Stainless Blank & Cup Holder (the car has manual windows,so needed a blank to cover where the switches would usually be)

Jass Performance Stealth TSIs

Stainless 370mm Decat

Fujitsubo (Jasma) Stainless 4-1 Manifold

Last Sunday i attended an event at Snetterton organized by the Police to help promote safer driving. They used the 100 circuit as a Slalom and set a time of 2:22 in an Audi A4.So i thought i'd give it a go.
I've never done anything like this (let alone be on a track). I came 3rd overall with a time of 2:17! Not bad considering the car is stock except the backbox and coilovers!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zT5TRsGiBZ4

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
Received some photos from the body shop this morning: Dent has been pulled out and repaired. Aerial hole has been welded and smoothed over. Wings and Rear Quarters have been took down to bare metal due to some surprise surface rust Front Bumper trial fit All arches have been rolled (again) and flared. Passenger door has been replaced Plenty more to come :)

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
Small Update
Got my hands on some Mazdaspeed Side Skirts
10961979423_acd4c01dc0_z.jpg

I've had a lot of inspiration from RevLimiter's Sharka build and I loved the retro Mazda badge he bought. After I searched the internet high and low I couldn't find a badge that I liked. So I went back to the Sharka build to see where he got his from. Found one in the US and It arrived yesterday.
10961857916_6b3aeee3d8_z.jpg

As I'm a wheel whore,i ordered a new set of wheels. Traklite Apex 15x8.25j ET20 weight 8kg each
10961842156_ffe7411f81_z.jpg

A little bit under 3" of dish
10961934074_362718464c_z.jpg

10961835766_c94854911a_z.jpg

10961985043_3448e15311_z.jpg

The car should hopefully be painted this week,will update with more pics when I get them :)

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
Small update
New door and boot catches

The body shop had started to prep the front Racing Beat Type 2 bumper and found the following

So they spent quite a few days on it and I received these photos this morning

WOW is all I can say! It looks like its brand new! Cant thank them enough for the amazing job they've done so far!

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
I hope everyone is having a good Christmas :) The Monster received some goodies

The other half knows me too well and this was one present from her. Excuse the dirty car,i'm waiting for some cleaning products to arrive before I clean her for the first time

Finally fitted the new Steering Wheel and also a new Neo Chrome Gear Knob to match

KG Works Interior Mirror

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
Took some quick photos this afternoon. Apologies for the poor quality,i used a too high of ISO to compensate for the crap weather,and didn't realize the amount of grain until I uploaded them onto the desktop

I've even sorted out the front number plate! Fitted a smaller one too (9x7)

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
Did someone say Mk2 dash conversion?

The Mk2 door cards need some custom brackets made,and the hole for the window winder was in the wrong place so they left them. Heres the fitment of the Mk1 doorcards with the Mk2 dash

Unless you know its there,you cant really tell!
A MASSIVE thank you goes to the guys at H&S Performance in Norwich for the fantastic job in the conversion and for fitting all the other plastic trims and carpet!

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
Tested out the new Autobrite Snow Foam Lance

Washed with Meguiars Gold Glass Shampoo,followed by Megs Ultimate Polish and Ultimate Wax
1528567_10153710111505311_1585333081_n.jpg

Me and Mrs Reeper then embarked on a 3hr journey to the Birmingham NEC for the Autosport International Show. First time I had been to this show and I loved it! Certainly will be making a return visit in the future! Here are a few photos I took aswell as others so far
1537433_576098585815995_1718664440_o.jpg

1506325_576098645815989_1445386635_o.jpg

1487954_576099935815860_1797569459_o.jpg

1115938_576100025815851_1878342864_o.jpg

1015953_576025699156617_1373717974_o.jpg

1150623_716996744992327_1330319097_o.jpg

1497915_10152213184905499_931122855_o.jpg

1496780_10152138888969520_1631142763_n.jpg

522410_542504175845819_1776039244_n.jpg

My photos from the Show can be found here https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.576015535824300.1073741856.106487689443756&type=1&l=cc0e5bba4e

Can't believe I didn't see the mx5's, must have missed that corner completely :(
The car is looking absolutely brilliant though , nice work

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
Gonna bore you with some more random photos. Its gonna be at least another 6 weeks until I have another decent update :(
The car is filthy,and this was a last minute decision :) I only had the camera and tripod,so had to rely on the camera settings and lights in the car park,which didn't help a great deal :/

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
Small update:
I got these made by Dan Heeks while the car was in the body shop having the respray. Finally got my good friend at Vinyl Works here in Norwich to fit them for me.
We did try fitting the stripes on the side skirts,but with how the skirts curve,it distorted the overall look of the stripes and didn't look right.

I've been honored to have Top Miata post quite a number of photos of the Purple Monster on their Instagram. They're doing a limited run of stickers,so thought it'd be rude not to represent.

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
It was nice to have some sunshine yesterday,so I took advantage of it,removed the hard top and took a coastal drive along the North Norfolk coast.

(I made the mistake of making the car level,and not the house in the background,oops!)

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
Updates have been slow,thats because this was being created :)

The MK1/NA top crash pad moulded to fit the Mk2/NB dash corner.

Jass Performance Gear and Radio Surround fitted

A massive massive thanks to Keiron at All-Trims for the incredible work and for taking the time to make sure its how I exactly wanted it!