• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Hoodedreeper's Mazda Eunos PROJECT:SIDEWAYS

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
Rewind back to last Sunday,i headed down Santa Pod for Japshow.
1009896_476232889135899_1835964723_n.jpg

I was with Jap Car Enthusiasts for the show,and they kindly awarded me with a Trophey! Most Unique Mod (turbo conversion). I know it may not be unique in the MX5 community,but I think I was one of few Turbo'd 5s at the show.
7441_10152974019460311_559354522_n.jpg

Purchased a new gear knob at the show,fits quite nicely with the theme of the car
946542_10152983803370311_1766302609_n.jpg

1044867_10152983803360311_1918331513_n.jpg

Sent my 1.8 flywheel away to get skimmed. The Stage 3 clutch will be fitted along with the flywheel this coming Wednesday.
5882_10152983776840311_1479416274_n.jpg

Some rubber U channel to help neaten the heat shields up
7971_10152987093450311_1994154677_n.jpg

Today I travelled North to Donington for Japfest 2.
970087_479276812164840_245216954_n.jpg

My JapFest 2 Photos are now online,please take a look over at https://www.facebook.com/media/set/....1073741836.106487689443756&type=3&uploaded=6

MaxK11C

Micraless
Social Brand Manager
Stolen the gearstick idea from Jay? Hehe. Looks great. I can't wait to see this motor in person.

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
Update!
Last Wednesday I got my Stage 3 Clutch and flywheel fitted
1044057_10153008598135311_441447783_n.jpg

It was about time I sorted out my interior,so I removed everything and work begun!
The centre bar needed grinding down and painting

I then masked up all the loom and everything else that didn't need to be painted,and then painted the floor :)

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
Electronic Boost Controller from DIY Auto Tune

LED Number Plate and Side Light Bulbs

8000k HIDs fitted

Coolant Re-Route Parts ready to be fitted! (thermostat gaskets are here,just not pictured)

Went out for a random drive across the Norfolk coastline,grabbed some photos

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
Its been awhile since I've updated,its been a nightmare couple of weeks!
Going back a two weeks,the car was dropped off at Fast Eddy's in Norwich to have a custom 2.5" stainless downpipe made,as well as having my new Turbo fitted

Had a friend pop over and gave me a hand fitting the coolant re-route

Certainly not the cleanest of engine bays at the moment,but nevermind!
Couple of random photos

Took the car out for a drive to make sure I didn't have any leaks etc. Hadnt even done 10-15 miles and there was a cloud of smoke behind me. Removed the filter and checked the turbo and the turbo decided to fail! After speaking to the seller,I sent the turbo away to get it checked. After filing in a dispute with Paypal,and finding out the Turbo didn't have Garrett internals,the dispute got put forward to a case. Paypal decided to favour the seller.
I'm not going into too much detail about the dispute,but lets just say i'm very very out of pocket right now. I've got a nice paper weight which cant be rebuilt as HKS no longer make that turbo,and I've got a downpipe that doesn't fit my turbo :/
1186808_10153139281050311_1559282730_n.jpg

1005794_10153139280845311_1411623840_n.jpg

I pulled the car apart Wednesday just gone (21/08/13) to do a series of engine flushes. The oil filter proved to be a massive head ache,tried both chain and strap type filter wrenches,waterpump pliers and stabbing a screwdriver through. Managed to get more leverage with the alternator removed and it finally budged!

I've so far done two flushes,I've got another lot of oil and engine flush in. I've put the old turbo back on and currently driving it about. Once I've gotten a few miles on her,i'll then dump that oil and i'm praying that the metal filings will be gone. I've also fitted a magnetic sump plug to help things too.
Also fitted some mesh to the front bumper

frank

Club Member
I read somewhere they're a sleeve bearing turbo

here,s my sleeve bearing bush,s chris (1 piece garrett, and 2 piece TD05 mitsubishi) just a plain phosphor bronze bush eh :)
and when they fail they just wear away, no steel fragments
i think you can get an alternative cartridge type roller bearing option for yours

P8240446.JPG

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
Small Update

Send the original rocker cover off to a friend to have Powder Coated. While I fitted that I also fitted a Jass Performance Front Engine Hook and Scuttle Cover from Mx5_Dan

The engine bay is far from clean,will be giving a good clean tomorrow ready for a car meet this Sunday :)

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
Finally sorted out the looped heater pipe,originally looked like this

And now...

Fitted a Driftworks 4pt Harness 3" webbing (ALOT better than my previous 2" Sparco)

Re-painted the inner parts of the wings and fitted some neo-chrome counter sunk washers & bolts (matches the wheel nuts :p)

Also finally got round to changing the red silicone hose on the throttle body for a black one (no photo)
Couple of random photos from last night

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
Soo...not how I wanted to spend my Sunday afternoon! I'll let the photos do the talking.....

Driving down the A47 heading towards Peterborough (from Norwich direction) leading a convoy of cars to the Slam Media meet. Came round the Swaffham RaceWay roundabout,as we came off the roundabout the girlfriend starts shouting that theres smoke coming from the engine and she saw flames through the hole in the bulk head. By the time I had stopped,the inside of the car was full of smoke and smoke was pouring from the sides of the bonnet. The convoy of cars stopped behind and a couple of people ran towards the car with a fire extinguisher and put it out. By the time I had stopped an Ambulance was heading in our direction and pulled up a few car lengths infront. Minutes later a Police Traffic car had also drove past and turned round to help keep flow of the traffic.

With everyone off the side of the road the police put cones out to divert the traffic while I waited for recovery. Got it back home and left it on the drive way,i'll start to look at it during the week as I was just too pissed off to do anything with it tonight.

MaxK11C

Micraless
Social Brand Manager
I'm glad you're ok though chris, I'm sorry to the the Mazda in such a bad way.

'Sent from my bed using paper planes'

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
Managed to get a look around the car and I've found the cause of the fire.
The braided lines for the Oil Cooler have touched the Alternator,burning through which caused the oil to go everywhere,igniting at the same time at a guess. Luckily it wasn't a fuel line!!
Some will say its repairable,but I've had too much bad luck with this car (front and rear fires aswell as impacts both sides). Its time to find another Mk1 1.6 and transfer everything over

Watch this space!

Managed to get a look around the car and I've found the cause of the fire.
The braided lines for the Oil Cooler have touched the Alternator,burning through which caused the oil to go everywhere,igniting at the same time at a guess. Luckily it wasn't a fuel line!!
Some will say its repairable,but I've had too much bad luck with this car (front and rear fires aswell as impacts both sides). Its time to find another Micra K11 and transfer everything over

Watch this space!

Fixed :)

peposhi

Once I win the Euromillions...
Jee, man, you're now famous for creating such beauties and then destroy them at once :)
It's good you didn't bump on Bumbulbee yet lol

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
Progress is slow at the moment i'm afraid...
Went to the MX5OC Alignment day,treated the 'ol gal to:
- Engine Oil Change
- Gearbox Oil Change
- Diff Oil Change
- Brake Fluid Change
- Front Discs & Pads
- Rear Discs & Pads
- Full Alignment

Saturday a friend of mine picked up a bargain from a local scrap yard. Managed to get a full Mk2 dash conversion for £100!

The car has been in the body shop for the past week,very very excited to see the outcome. Told them i'm in no rush for it back as I want it done properly :)