hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
The bad bits...

IMG_2766.jpg

IMG_2767.jpg

IMG_2769.jpg

IMG_2770.jpg

Upon looking at the car after a look around,Ross checked the underneath and the arches and they're solid,not a single bit of rust. Underneath the bonnet its very clean,no knocks/rattles and no leaks. The interior is in mint condition aswell.

The roof has some small tears along the edge where the rubber seal is,but it doesnt leak. Apart from the body work and the roof,its solid as a rock!

The previous owner doesnt know when it was last serviced (or any records of previous services) as most Imports dont carry much paper work. He also didnt know when the cambelt was last done

First things to do are:

Valet it (been parked under a telegraph pole = loads of bird poo)
service inc all fluids changed
cambelt and waterpump change

Then i should be good to go :D

peposhi

Once I win the Euromillions...
Lodza work for you, Chris :)

But I'm sure you'd come up with some brilliant ideas here (Y)(Y)

I'll be watching you :blues:

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
Ever since being insured on the girlfriend's MR2 i've been craving RWD. This lil gem came up at a bargain price and weighed it up with...do i get it...or do i finish the turbo...

But the temptation of some sideways action was faaar too much :p

davey1991

If its not scrubbing, its not low enough.
The centre cover comes of the steering wheel to reveal Momo goodness, its what my wheels off :)

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
Colour for the respray has been decided! Just finding out vinyl wrap prices,if abit too pricey will spray it :)

KGrHqUOKj8E19L36ONBNgReKPJgw_3.jpg

Opinions?

Rota K7
15x9j
ET36

xidas-teaser.jpg

1307917187019.jpg

1307917161144.jpg

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
Spent yesterday working on the MX5,first thing to do was give it a wash:

IMG_2958.jpg

IMG_2960.jpg

IMG_2959.jpg

Something doesnt look right? Yeah,thats because the drivers side wing mirror FELL OFF while i was cleaning it! So thats on my to-do list!

Engine Bay definately needs a clean...

IMG_2968.jpg

Noticed 2 nice patches of Rust on the boot lid...

IMG_2962.jpg

When i bought the car,the chap chucked in a tin of Silver paint...so shook it and opened it up to see what colour it was...

IMG_2963.jpg

A lil bit too light for me,if it was a gun metal silver...i would have changed my mind and sprayed it that. Theres about 2.5-3.5 litres of paint in the tin.

First job to do was to clean and paint the calipers,so gave them a lick of Smooth Black Hammerite:

IMG_2974.jpg

Then started to rub down the bits of paint that had flaked off,started with the windscreen area...

IMG_2975.jpg

The paint just flakes off! Didnt take long to reach bare metal,kind of expected with 20 year old paint! This restoration is going to be interesting!

And thats all i managed to do inbetween the rain showers. Though to be fair,painting 4 calipers does take a fair bit of time!

Had a look at the front bumper,and theres NO WAY that i'll be able to rub down the paint,as its about 2-3mm thick and theres chunks missing. Gonna be easier to replace the whole bumper and get that sprayed...so thats on my list aswell

thats easy to do mate if u take it off and strip it and take time and patientts with it! if i could get to you easier i would give you a hand no problem mate

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
Will,i know its gonna take time,i can understand that...but i just dont wanna rub the whole car down and have to etch the WHOLE thing!

Will,i know its gonna take time,i can understand that...but i just dont wanna rub the whole car down and have to etch the WHOLE thing!

who said about the whole thing? if your simply going to change the colour? simply flat it all down with 500wet n dry and remove scratches and stuff with a block of course

then obviously the bumper needs rapiring so do that and only where there bare metal or filler will need primer

and where there chips apply stopper lightly and flat with a block as stopper doesnt need primer

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
Yeah,i meant scotch the whole car and just repair the damaged parts. It'll be easier for me to get a replacement bumper,they're only about £60 2nd hand,gonna be easier than chippin off/sanding down that much paint to make it all flat and even.

I could work on the current bumper inbetween jobs and have that as a spare :)

Yeah,i meant scotch the whole car and just repair the damaged parts. It'll be easier for me to get a replacement bumper,they're only about £60 2nd hand,gonna be easier than chippin off/sanding down that much paint to make it all flat and even.

I could work on the current bumper inbetween jobs and have that as a spare :)

yeah can do and i woould go for a respray and vinyul wrapping wont last and if it chips looks horrible and its costs bombs to do shuts etc!

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
Worked on the MX5 again today...

Heres the door after i quickly (and i mean QUICKLY) blew in some white primer last week,which resulted in the primer running and generally going every where. (had to bring the brightness down to try and show it)

IMG_3045.jpg

And heres it after with some white paint. The photo is VERY mis-leading as the actual paint is Audi Casablanca White...which is more like a cream colour,and stands out like a sore thumb. But with the poor lighting/weather,it doesnt show in the photo

IMG_3048.jpg

And heres above the windscreen,again same thing with the paint,but the photo doesnt show it. And yes i know theres over spray on the roof,getting a new one anyway :)

IMG_3047.jpg

Thought i'd change the speakers as the ones in there are shockingly poor

IMG_2961.jpg

New ones:

IMG_3049.jpg

Got given some sideskirts,heres the trial fit:

IMG_3051.jpg

IMG_3052.jpg

IMG_3056.jpg

IMG_3057.jpg

I think they came off a Mk2 MX5,hence why they dont fit. But they're in need of some repair work anyway...

Last job of the day was to fit my Speedo converter:

Before (showing KMH)

IMG_3058.jpg

IMG_3060.jpg

IMG_3061.jpg

After (now showing MPH)

IMG_3062.jpg

Daniel

I WILL be back...
Looks like you're making some good progress, Chris (Y). Those skirts would look alright tidied up and colour matched, but I think you would need the matching front and rear bumpers and arches to go with them fwn

If it's going to be anything like you micra and polo this car will look awesome, I would love to have the time and money for a rwd project (and no family so I could use it:))

If it's going to be anything like you micra and polo this car will look awesome, I would love to have the time and money for a rwd project (and no family so I could use it:))

haha just sneaking out at 3am and go b-road blasting. thats what i used to do but my missus clicked on i was sneaking out and she thought i was cheating :laugh:

nice progress on the car mate i like these little things there bags of fun.

Daniel

I WILL be back...
haha just sneaking out at 3am and go b-road blasting. thats what i used to do but my missus clicked on i was sneaking out and she thought i was cheating :laugh:

Yeah, it's not really worth the hassle of an argument and a grumpy partner :laugh:. Mine normally encourage me to drive fast and race people that are clearly going for it, so I don't usually have an issue :grinning:

This is definitely an awesome project though (Y)

Yeah, it's not really worth the hassle of an argument and a grumpy partner :laugh:. Mine normally encourage me to drive fast and race people that are clearly going for it, so I don't usually have an issue :grinning:

This is definitely an awesome project though (Y)

lol i never go for it with anyone in the car i have once but it was only to 60. i was at the lights and a rx8 pulled up i was in my old sunny n14 gti and i couldn't resist the guy went and i pulled ahead i could see the guys girlfriend in my mirror slapping senseless lol. my missus went mad with me :laugh:

Daniel

I WILL be back...
lol i never go for it with anyone in the car i have once but it was only to 60. i was at the lights and a rx8 pulled up i was in my old sunny n14 gti and i couldn't resist the guy went and i pulled ahead i could see the guys girlfriend in my mirror slapping senseless lol. my missus went mad with me :laugh:

I've done it a couple of times - once when I took my mates Civic Type R out for a drive (against a turboed 1.6 Vtec - I won, and the bloke looked upset, especially when his girlfriend started shouting at him :laugh:), and when I took my BMW out for a test drive (against an SR, because apparently they're quicker - I still won though). I was with my then girlfriend when I was in the Civic, and the other Civic bazzed past me - to which my girlfriend responded with "Wow, he's really going for it - why aren't you? Race him then, go on!" And then I got rewarded with treats for winning :grinning::grinning::grinning:

Chris, as an afterthought so I'm not clogging up your thread - are you planning on a complete respray?

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
A full respray is on the cards,and i know which colour i'm going for. Its down to funds and free time to spraying it as i'm not familar with stripping the MX5 down (unlike the Micra where i know lol)

I've also got some wheels in mind 15x7j ET24 and 15x8j ET20 staggered. Coilovers have been sourced and will be bought on the 25th (pay day whoop!)

Daniel

I WILL be back...
Sounds like the new colour is being kept a secret for now, eh? :laugh:

Thought you were keeping the BBS alloys though, on account of how rare they are? Either way, MX-5s look good slammed on coilovers with deep dish alloys (Y)

Daniel

I WILL be back...
Good idea (Y). The BBSs do look sweet though, but needs bigger shoes :grinning:. Don't go too low though, there's a guy who lives near me who's slammed his to the floor on deep dish Enkeis - not sure what model, but they're pretty much like having alloys with no dish at all, and running them the other way around. Serious tyre stretch, negative camber, rolled/flared arches with bolt ons, and he can't get over speed bumps. He actually got stuck on a raised kerb at my local cruise when the police shut off the main entrance (you could only exit the place, no one else was allowed in :glare:), and ripped his exhaust off when he tried to move :laugh:

Sounds like the new colour is being kept a secret for now, eh? :laugh:

Thought you were keeping the BBS alloys though, on account of how rare they are? Either way, MX-5s look good slammed on coilovers with deep dish alloys (Y)

Ive been looking for a spare one for almost 2 years and nowhere in the uk sell them if I was to get one it'd have to be from the u.s and they're around £100 each without postage and taxes on top

Daniel

I WILL be back...
Ive been looking for a spare one for almost 2 years and nowhere in the uk sell them if I was to get one it'd have to be from the u.s and they're around £100 each without postage and taxes on top

And I'm guessing that's without tyres as well, eh? So probably looking at about £1000 for a full set, at least

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
Found some new shoes for the MX5,the guy has reserved them for me till pay day :)

Mini Super Lights
4x100
13x7j
ET-7
3 inches of dish

2011-08-16124720.jpg

2011-08-16124734.jpg

2011-08-16124702.jpg

And a photo of the exact same fitment on an MX5 (different tyre profile though)

DSCF0996.jpg

nexussteve

The reason you're happy!
Looking good mate!

In case you didn't know - the car is actually a Eunos Miata/Roadster.
I have a Eunos Presso, which is an import MX-3! ^^

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
funny you should say that,my Dad rang up today saying his work mate knows where a hard top is for sale,so i may be getting on soon depending on the price :)