IMG_2192b.jpg

IMG_2190b.jpg

IMG_2191b.jpg

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
thanks to everyone who commented and 'liked' on facebook really do appreciate it! But please please please dont mention any thing about the turbo conversion on facebook as i dont want people to know!

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
Tiny update...

Went to the Jap Show today,was an awesome day! Acclr8 grabbed this photo of the Micra

734.jpg

Now got my Dump Valve

IMG_2189.jpg

Also picked up a SARD Fuel Pressure Regulator at the show

IMG_2424-1.jpg

IMG_2428.jpg

Tom 1.0

Ex. Club Member
Car looks brilliant, really like that your finally getting the power it always deserved.

Also found out we have a mutal friend in a guy you work with too, small world :laugh:

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
Updates are slow unfortunately...

263541_10150690088985311_791575310_19314540_2211336_n.jpg

Closer look...

267587_10150690061090311_791575310_19313945_4086984_n.jpg

Down Pipe now made

IMG_2532.jpg

IMG_2533.jpg

IMG_2534.jpg

IMG_2537.jpg

Dump Valve silicone Hose and Vacuum Hose

IMG_2536.jpg

Oil Feed Adaptor

IMG_2542.jpg

FSE Fuel Pump

IMG_2543-1.jpg

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
Just waiting for the oil return adaptor that bolts to the sump. Not 100% sure i need it but got one just incase. My 50mm intercooler pipe kit is due.to be in on the 20th July. Then come August it'll be time to book it in with Ed :D

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
While at work today i rang Ed at Fusion Motorsport,had a chat with him about the set up and what needed to be done. He said i needed to get an Air Flow Meter from a 200sx,which i knew was gonna be a task by itself! While on the phone i booked the car in for wednesday 3rd August :D :D

Once off the phone,i was back on it and made a call. This afternoon,i had a Air Flow Meter sitting infront of me :D In this situation,its not what you know...its WHO you know :)

I picked up the Air Flow Meter and K&N Filter for £60.00

IMG_2544.jpg

IMG_2547.jpg

IMG_2549.jpg

IMG_2548.jpg

So thats another thing crossed off the list! Just need to order a new T25 gasket. Its now 2 weeks since i ordered the sump return adaptor...checked my ebay and noticed i never ordered it! Doh! What a plonker! So ordered that from Japan and should be with me within 14-24 days,fingers crossed its here in time (end of the month) when the kit gets fitted.

Regards to clutches....i need an organic clutch that will be capable of upto 200hp (yes i know it wont be that much,but atleast that allows me abit of room for improvement for later on)

Found this on MPH's website:

clutchscreenshot.jpg

Is this suitable? I dont wanna go down the Helix 3 Paddle route as it'll be awful to drive as a daily (especially as i mainly drive round town)

pollyp

Club Member
i have that exact clutch setup there from mph, 3 paddle disc with uprated PP, and even with my JUN fly it feels and engages like a stock clutch. maybe tiny bit firmer due to more clamping force.

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
Is the above clutch a straight/direct replacement?

My exedy clutch is only 2 months old,so fingers crossed that'll hold out for awhile untill i can afford this one. If not i'll be without a freshly boosted micra for awhile until i can get the money together. I also need a whole new exhaust system :(

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
Awesome! At least i know where to get it from! Its gonna be a push now to get funds together but should be fine. Luckily i may not need the clutch till later on,depends how heavy i am with it when i get it all done.

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
Update!

New downpipe gasket:

IMG_2703.jpg

Silicone Hose:

IMG_2705.jpg

NGK BKR6E-11 Spark Plugs:

IMG_2704.jpg

And a photo of everything together ready to be fitted!

IMG_2707.jpg

Car is booked in for Weds 27th and Thurs 28th July for fitting. We'll then leave Tuesday 2nd Aug to head down to Surrey ready for the mapping on Weds 3rd Aug :D

peposhi

Once I win the Euromillions...
Fantastic news!!!

Chris, I finally fitted the Ibiza Splitter, ha-ha, after 10 months :suspect::grinning::grinning:

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
Anything more than about 150lb/ft and that clutch will slip when abused. Rule of thumb when sizing a clutch is to take nominal max engine torque and multiply by 1.25 to get an idea of where the clutch capacity should be. Otherwise you'll have to be careful with it like polly.

frank

Club Member
QG 200mm clutch ftw chris (bottom) :grinning: same spline as 1.3 etc, but with loads of contact area :cool:

Attachments

• SDC12391.JPG
    SDC12391.JPG
    278.8 KB · Views: 692

Stani1029

Club Member
Brilliant chris! Do you defo need the fuel pressure regulator and air flow meter, does ed wire it in or do we need to get the loom/connector? These are parts i aint got so need to know cheers :)

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
Ed said i'd need the FPR as my injectors arent big enough. He was the one to mention about the 200sx air flow meter. He said fit it and he'll wire it up

Hi there, I have literally just trawled through this one start to finish. What a cracking motor, I absolutely love the result of your creativity and effort. 10/10! (Y) Well done Hooded!

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
Small Update!

Collected my battery box last night:

IMG_2717.jpg

FINALLY sourced some M8x1 nuts that hold that Turbo to the Manifold,got them from Rover Main Dealer at a huuge cost of 14p + VAT each! So ordered 8... (only photographed 4 though)

IMG_2720.jpg

Also forgot that i needed a new Manifold Gasket,so got one of them aswell...

IMG_2731.jpg

Thats me all done and ready! Believe i've covered everything and got everything that i need. Tomorrow shall be interesting when the fitting begins,and of course there will be PLENTY of photos! :D

peposhi

Once I win the Euromillions...
yohooo, It feels like I am turboing my own car, ha-ha

Good luck, Chris! Hope everything will go nice and smooth (Y)(Y)(Y)

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
Quick update:

Spark Plugs fitted
Almera injectors fitted to Micra fuel rail (but awaiting a round spacer washer that spaces the fuel rail)
manifold and turbo fitted
oil feed grommet removed (first time!) and adaptor screw in
Oil feed and return is routed and sump ready to be dropped

Came across a couple of problems:

As the turbo sits forward at an angle the intercooler doesnt fit,so will need to move the support bracket for the bonnet catch in towards the radiator to allow more room. Will then weld brackets to the cross member to bring the intercooler out further. Cutting the original (spare) front bumper to make it all fit nicely.

Second problem i've got is the water feed/return for the Garrett T25. Done a quick google search and couldnt find anything. Was suggested t-piecing into the top rad hose?

Would appreciate any quick-ish replies :)

pjg1979

THIS IS MY BOOMSTICK!
Bloody Hell Chris, This is one crazy good looking Micra, went out and bought Banzai when I saw it on FB. Can't wait to see the finished project, Are you going to make a Glass Cabinet for it and only take it out on the weekends, lol.(Y)

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
Got a phone call today at work saying that the turbo is physcially too big and fouls the radiator. The intercooler is also too wide and the pipe work is impossible to plumb in using the universal pipe kit. Only way round it is to source a T2 turbo and a smaller intercooler.

I think i've found a T2 which i'll be looking at very shortly,once checked out and it seems ok i'll be bolting that straight on. Because of the position of the turbo (inlet facing forward and up) its difficult to get the pipe work to fit for the air filter. Fingers crossed with the smaller turbo on,it'll allow us more room. Whether the current intercooler will fit,i dont know.

Heres the intercooler placement:

2011-07-27175508.jpg

and the clearance between the intercooler and the turbo:

2011-07-27175540.jpg

frank

Club Member
you could relocate the horns eh chris, and the powersteering cooling pipe does,nt do a fat lot in our climate.
will you not fit the filter directly to the turbo (behind the grille ?

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
Even with the horns moved i've still gotta do a 180 degree bend to get the filter sitting to the left of the engine. The filter is massive plus i've gotta get the air flow meter in there aswell. I could get a smaller filter,but would mean getting an adaptor plate made for the air flow meter (as its a square base)

I'm after an intercooler simular to martin's,a small square one,but cant find one anywhere locally.

Another problem is the clearance for the bonnet

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
Finished work early today and headed over to check out the T2 turbo. The turbo was fine didnt have any play but it was damaged. Bare with me,i dont know the technical names so you'll get vague descriptions. Its the housing behind the compressor housing,where the exhaust downpipe bolts onto. Anyway,one hold was blown and cracked,luckily he had ANOTHER T2 there,but the opposite way round,the housing was fine but the impellors were shot.

2011-07-28170326.jpg

Cracked Turbo:

2011-07-28170417.jpg

Fine turbo:

2011-07-28170343.jpg

I then checked the downpipe,with the T2 and T25 both having the same manifold flange,i wondered if the downpipe was the same or not.

2011-07-28170650.jpg

Nope,its different...the piping is on the wrong side of the flange. Getting it cut and re-welded the other side didnt seem too bad,but thats just one of these lil things that happens.

So got talking to Fast Eddy who had happened to pop down to H&S Performance about the two T2s and he said to split both and make 1 good one,it'd need to be sent away for balancing and new bearings put in,which could cost about £200 (the T2 is/was £80!)

2011-07-28165349.jpg

2011-07-28165403.jpg

2011-07-28165436.jpg

Intercooler outlet clearance:

2011-07-28165549.jpg

2011-07-28165603.jpg

2011-07-28170026.jpg

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
Even with the slightly smaller T2 turbo on (if i spent nearly £300) the problem still lies with the manifold. The manifold is angled too far out/forward which is making the turbo stick out further. The angle of the turbo at the moment clears the alternator,but it causes problems for the intercooler pipes. I'm not having a dig at Frank,who made the manifold,its just happens to be how the turbo sits. The manifold needs to be angled down more as apposed to at an angle. You can see from these photos...

2011-07-28170120.jpg

2011-07-28170204.jpg

My options are:

- Get a tubular manifold made and carry on using the T25 as planned
- spend nearly £300 on getting a decent T2 and risk using the current manifold
- sell the whole set up

As i said to the guys at H&S,i'm trying to do a conversion that isnt made for the car. I could get it all fitted and i'll have more problems waiting for me further down the line.

I dont wanna throw the towl in,but i cant physically afford to buy anything out,i can litually afford the fitting,remap,travel lodge,petrol to get trailered down to Fusion and THATS IT

I'm at a dead end at the moment....

Nice work here Chris, project is coming along nicely & looking forward to the end result :grinning:

but where is it your planning on putting the AFM? cause this needs to be a blow through set up so somewhere close to the TB is fine otherwise I can see your issues if your trying to get it on the turbo with air fliter.

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
placement of the AFM all depends where the turbo/manifold sits. As it stands at the moment,the inlet of the turbo is a couple of inches from the bumper. Trying to get a 90 degree bend and then pipe (so it sits ontop of the intercooler) is gonna be a mega mega tight squeeze. Only other option is to do a 180 bend and have it to the left of the engine block

placement of the AFM all depends where the turbo/manifold sits. As it stands at the moment,the inlet of the turbo is a couple of inches from the bumper. Trying to get a 90 degree bend and then pipe (so it sits ontop of the intercooler) is gonna be a mega mega tight squeeze. Only other option is to do a 180 bend and have it to the left of the engine block

Mis-understanding mate, what I'm saying is the AFM meter will need to be mounted inline with the piping: just before the TB which seems to work best. This is no dought how Ed will recommend it as he has fitted mine this way and also on the previous 1.3 turbo he mapped which is known as a blow through set up as opposed to mounting on the inlet of the turbo which is how they are on the SR20DET's. UNLESS you've been told otherwise:wasntme:

The intecooler isnt a problem,its the manifold and the position of the turbo that is the problem

Ok mate, just thought you mentioned sourcing a smaller one as that one is too wide. Have you looked at Martins blog? he had a very similar set up.

Perhaps mod the existing manifold to perfect the angle of the turbo, or starlet manifold route? Dont give up either way

good luck

frank

Club Member
it does,nt sound like they,re trying very hard chris fwn first they say its fouling the rad ( you can see when i fitted it to mine it has equal clearance on the alt and rad)
then the i/c is too big, and now its ok ?

Attachments

• SDC12061.JPG
    SDC12061.JPG
    275.6 KB · Views: 480