hole in nearside rear sill, MOT

Just found a hole in my k11 nearside rear sill and close to MOT day. I am thinking about welding a patch over it, but I am wondering if the patch has to be plug welded to the part of the sill where the inner/outer sills are pinched. Or can I just weld the patch in.
DSC00032-2.jpg

just weld the patch onto any good sound remaining metal. as long as they can prod it without punching holes, it's fine.

the 90EN is flux-wired ain't it. how do you find it handles thin sheet metal? some say the slightly thicker flux wire is abit harder to control on delicate thin metal?

the 90EN is flux-wired ain't it. how do you find it handles thin sheet metal? some say the slightly thicker flux wire is abit harder to control on delicate thin metal?

It is setup for gasless but will do gas also. It's fine for thin metal as long as you use a good quality .8mm wire like lincoln or SIP. I've also heard that impax wire from screwfix works well, but haven't tried it yet. I'll get a spool this week. The clarke is well made but a bit too heavy for me to move around. I don't have a workshop so I have to keep it in the house and carry it outside.

Not pretty, but it's seam welded all around and plug welded where it overlaps the pinch. I set the clarke 90en to max 1 and wire speed between 4 and 5 (0.9mm gasless wire). I put a lot of tack welds on first, ground them down a bit, and then ran short seam welds. I was constantly afraid of blowing through, but it never did. I just found a similar hole on the other sill, but much longer than this one.

DSC00039.JPG

Back