High Idle that resets after ignition off/on. CG10DE Pre FL 1994.

Hi all.

I am chasing an issue where only when the engine is hot during a run, coming to a halt such as traffic lights, the idle will be noticeably higher, this also in turn reduces engine braking. Turning the ignition fully off and back on resets the idle to the normal level.

My car uses ODB1 so I am not sure how to actually get a fix on the sensors and what is wrong, or is their a clear indicator to the culprit?

Regards

Drew

Hi Drew.
I had a similar issue on my 1.0 facelift (also obd 1), turned out the idle control valve on the front of the throttle body would stick open. Removed and cleaned it, problem went away.

I have finally solved this and for anyone else the solution is this:

My k11 is RHD. So standing at the drivers wing, look for a connector on the throttlebody under the air box house facing towards the windscreen, take this out and clean with both WD40 Contact Cleaner and Compressed Air.

I did this and my idle is back to normal, if not smoother and quicker to settle down then ever before.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    347.6 KB · Views: 126
Its replaceable with the TB on the car but needs calibrating. This can be done with a simple multimeter. It needs to be 0.5v when closed.

This if for the coilpack engine but shouldnt differ much.

Attachments

• tps.JPG
    tps.JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 126
Its replaceable with the TB on the car but needs calibrating. This can be done with a simple multimeter. It needs to be 0.5v when closed.

Thanks will help me nail this issue down, so far compressed air and contact cleaner resumes normal operation, but I am pondering how long for.

So forgive my ignorance, so it's attach the new TPS to the TB on the car. then with the throttle at 0% touch any of the pins on the TPS and look for 0.5v? I presume if it's out I need to adjust something if so what?

No you need to check it between pin 1 and 3. You should be able to turn the sensor a bit as the screw holes are slotted to adjust it. So just unscrew both screws a little bit and turn the sensor till you measure proper voltage.

Back