High fuel consumption on a brand new Micra

Hi guys,

I have a brand new Micra (around 2k miles so far) and the fuel consuption is really bad.

While everyone with a similar car reports a 31 to 35 mpg my Micra is doing only 18 mpg!

I already took it to Nissan mechanics and they told me "everything is fine" which obviously isn't.

That's my first car and i'm complete clueless in that situation. Does anyone have any hints of what might be the problem? The car was bought new (zero miles)... if there's any problem, is a problem that car left the factory with. Is that a commom thing for Nissan?

Thanks for the support.

SplanK

Site Supporter
I get around 40MPG from my DIG-S, and thats with a heavy right foot!

The non DIG-S engine though isnt as good on MPG but should still return 30ish mpg upwards.

In addition to the above requested info, could you also explain your driving style, and how you are measuring the MPG?

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
What kind of journeys are you doing? Roughly how long are they and through what kind of areas?

I get 31 - 35mpg which I think is quite poor as I dont drive in heavy traffic.
I find engine takes a little longer than most to warm up so consumption is down to about 25mpg on a cold engine which is what brings my average down.
On motorway at a constant 60mph (100kmh) or so with a warm engine I can get 60+
I dont find the cruise control to be particularly helpful. On other cars with cruise control I found it hard to beat the mpg I get with the cruise on. I think the Micra cruise control is a little agressive with the throttle at speeds over 50mph, Ie at speed where you would want to use it.

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
Its probably the time of year and the style of driving tbh. If it will do 60+ then I'd suggest there are no problems. You should fill up and then re-fil to measure litres after 100 or so miles and calculate mpg to see if it tallies with the computer.

OP
OP
A
what model/engine azulao ?

My micra is the brazilian model, here they call it March.

March 1.6 SV
Engine - HR16DE (1.6l) -(flex fuel)
The car is made in Nissan's factory in Mexico

What kind of journeys are you doing? Roughly how long are they and through what kind of areas?

I use it mostly to go to work. Roughly 2 hours a day with normal city traffic and air conditionner always on, i'm in Rio. :D

In addition to the above requested info, could you also explain your driving style, and how you are measuring the MPG?

I believe im somewhat agressive (heavy foot) while driving but even when i tried to take it slow, consumption didn't improove much.

Im measuring the MPG in the car onboard computer but last time i checked manually with "real" data from the pump, consumption showed similar numbers.

Mine is doing about 7.8 km/litter, which converting to miles and using MPG online calculators returned the values in first post. Others March owners are doing from 11.5 km/l to 14 km/l with same model. Nissan official numbers are 14 km/l.

Guy

Has gone over to the oily side...
Club Member
My 160 (same engine) averaged 42-43 mpg but that was 2/3 motorway with 1/3 urban and aircon never on :).

The 1.2 Cvt burns around 6-6.5l/100 kms. This only in the city. On the highway i get about 5.9l/100kms, but the fuel computer is showing 8.3-9l/100kms. Do not trust the on board computer. If you stay in traffic for 10 mins, the computer will make an average of 30l/100km and it will never drop till you'll reset it.