High Comp 1.4 Pt 2

Right so following on from the last thread (which I want to say thanks to all for the much needed advice!) I've been told that, the high compression 1.4 that I have got with the Nismo 0.5mm head gasket will have a compression ratio of around 10.2:1

I would really like to hit a higher figure of 11:1 and so have thoughts on taking the head off and skimming it around 0.8mm to reach this figure. However, I would still want the car to be a reliable source of power and not have to worry about blowing anything up. (The car would be going on standalone engine management (most likely a speeduino) and mapped on a rolling road.)

The engine has high lift cams 270deg and 9mm lift, and I remember reading one of Frank's earlier posts where he mentions that raising compression is a must if fitting wilder cams.

Here are the main concerns I have and so am wondering whether someone can help out please:

1. Is 11:1 going overboard or is this still a safe and reliable compression level to reach on a 1.4? Or should I be looking at going more than 11:1?

2. The engine is fresh fitted with a brand new Nismo head gasket and the engine has not been in a car since the gasket was fitted. Would it be okay to reuse this gasket when refitting the head back on?

3. I understand the lower chain will be slacker due to the reduced height. What effect will this have? The engine is on 75k-ish so its not exactly low miles but not too high mileage either.

I would really love to get people's thoughts on these 3 questions as it will help me quite a lot! I've wanted to do a head skim for quite a while but always had these sort of concerns but then I hear people on facebook say, 'just skim the block at a local machine shop for £40' and it sounds so tempting lol...

Would really appreciate any info/thoughts/advice etc.

I'll take both of your wisdom's and leave it as it is!

Just realised it already has a 1.0 crank pulley fitted which is handy. It has a power steering delete, which I'll need to fit back in. My power steering pump was knackered anyway so I'll get a new one and fit it to the engine before it goes in.

Just confirmed that the cams it has are indeed 272deg and 9mm lift so they're identical to the 774's I already have in my current engine, so looks like my 774's will be up for sale at some point.

Looking down the spark plug wells, the top of the pistons look quite shiny and silver, which is always a good thing...

Quite tempted to wire brush and respray the whole block to make it look brand new!

Thanks for your helps!

I wish I could easily compression test it before putting it in, but it has no starter motor...

Back