hey hey ho ho .......the problem's got to go??

hello....
it's george in crawley again.

still the same old problem

1. driver headlight won't do normal beam - full beam is fine.
2. constant clicking and flashing of engine management light.

i took it to the garage 12 days ago - i've been oop north for a while, so now can call the garage to see what is happening.

they have had the car at B&W motors for 12 days now - they have not bothered to phone me yet.

when i took the car to the garage it was clicking and cutting power at the same time, about 0.25 second each time.
it did this about 150 times on the way to the garage.
then the engine manage light came on full for the first time - i immediately turned off and on with the key - heavy traffic at the time.
after the turn on, the click happened only once during the second half of the journey to the garage.
anybody got any ideas?
some people say ''relay'' to me - but i don't know about relays on the car - haynes is no use whatsoever on this.
how many relays on a 1.0 k11 profile?
i have located 3 relays and changed them - box beside battery.
if there is a fourth relay - and if it is the fuel relay - then where??
george
i am very close to selling this car.......for scrap.

I think there's a chance that the headlight and the engine problem are seperate faults and not linked. It sounds to me to be similar to an issue i had with my 99 k11 where the distributor was malfunctioning, it started as an intermittant fault and then got worse untill the car wouldn't run at all. It would drive normally then the engine light would flash on for just a second and every time it did there was a blip in the engine, like a missfire almost. Eventually i lost one of the cylinders and had to limp it home gentley. Here's the link to the thread, it might be helpfull to you.

http://www.micra.org.uk/threads/34693-K11-Misfire-Problem?highlight=

Youve checked the bulb yeah? (not taking the ####, just can sometimes overlook the obvious) apart from that Id suggest checking the fuses, headlight plug etc in the engine bay for the headlight light issue...sounds like maybe a corrosion / water related problem.

thanx for the replies - brains are heating up!!
sorry - forgot to mention that i have a new ECU which has imoobiliser disabled - any connection there?
garage say they are stumped - they say ECU/loom. they will have a visit from a guy who has the skill , pretty soon.
porkpie i think you have it with the dizzy prob you sorted in the related thread - will try that.
also, when the bulb of a headlight is being used for main beam the smaller section of the bulb is being used.
when light changed to 'full' a larger section of the bulb is used and this is surounded by a reflector inside the light casing which results in wider beam when on ''full''.
forgive my random terminology - full is stronger than main when talking headlights....
i have tried changing bulbs - port to starboard - also new bulb, but the light prob persists...........
thanx again, peeps.

my bulb went wierd before and it was corrosion in the bulb plug had gotten hot / rusty and eventually damaged the plug. Though i also had a correded fuse connector aswell....

Id personally start from the light switch and work my way into the engine bay...there are relays for the lights in the engine bay, maybe you've got a bad connection or something somewhere in that lot. Sorry i cant give you a "check here, this is your fault" kinda answer.

How good you are at reading wiring diagrams? :D as the haynes is fairly good at pointing you to the wiring youd want to check.

thanx solar - garage gave me bad news - they have no clue with ecu.
they are waiting for a local electronic/software guru to have a look and tweak at it.
if the switching is not easliy fixable then i will get rid of this vastly overcpmplicated heap of trash.!1

modern cars are great - heater matrix leaks and totally writes off the whole car!!

girn,girn,girn.....hehe

yeah i changed the ign switch- when i bought the car.
when bought, i needed to SLOWLY turn the ign to get it to start.
i decided to get a car spark to put in a new ign switch.
after that:
1 . heater matrix springs leak - later sorted;
2. ecu shuts down car - new ecu minus immobiliser bought and car goes fine.
3. now weird headlight and constant clicking of ......fuel pump?.....
gmcn.

Back