Hesitation Through Gears.

Shaun

***StaGGeRed***
Okay so went out for a drive today and something strange happened.
1st gear around 2.5/3K revs it hesitated and then carried on (not good on a round a bout)
the rest of the gears were fine.

About 20mins later it did it again but in 1st, then 2nd, then 3rd.
it is random though sometimes it won't do it.

Anyone had similar?

Hopefully it's something we know of and i won't have to go through a long list!
Need to drive 150miles on tuesday then back again thursday so fingers crossed it will be ok.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Shaun

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

***StaGGeRed***
it sounds similar if not identical to my old problem,

http://www.micra.org.uk/threads/41090-Car-Problem-!!!!

turned out to be a dodgy lambda sensor, if it keep happening unplug the lambda and see if it cures it, there will be a noticeable loss in power.
Noticeable loss in power with or without the sensor in?!
Suppose i could do with getting a replacement anyways. maybe the 'Frankspeed' is just to sexy for that lambda sensor lol

Eliot

Ex Super S Owner
There was a loss of power due to the kangarooing, however when I unplugged the lambda all the kangarooing went away but it just had a loss in power.

My problem happened once in a month. then it got more and more frequent until I just couldn't drive it because it was dangerous and the car kept jerking. Unplugging the lambda cured the jerking but there was a loss of power throughout the revs. Plugging the lambda back in caused the jerking to come back, my guess it was underfueling the car.

When you put the frankspeed mani on did you knock the sensor about in any way? They are very delicate.

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

***StaGGeRed***
There was a loss of power due to the kangarooing, however when I unplugged the lambda all the kangarooing went away but it just had a loss in power.

My problem happened once in a month. then it got more and more frequent until I just couldn't drive it because it was dangerous and the car kept jerking. Unplugging the lambda cured the jerking but there was a loss of power throughout the revs. Plugging the lambda back in caused the jerking to come back, my guess it was underfueling the car.

When you put the frankspeed mani on did you knock the sensor about in any way? They are very delicate.
Had a bit of trouble getting the ###### off!
don't think we damaged it though. i don't mind getting a new one but don't want to waste money for no reason i'll check online for prices now.
So the new lambda cured your problem?

Seb_

Give me some frogs.
Site Supporter
I think cleaning MAF should be your LAST option. It's very sensitive, if you do it don't touch the wires, and use MAF cleaner, less agressive than brakes cleaner. Would be better to buy/try a cheap (2nd hand?) lambda sensor before imho.

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

***StaGGeRed***
I think cleaning MAF should be your LAST option. It's very sensitive, if you do it don't touch the wires, and use MAF cleaner, less agressive than brakes cleaner. Would be better to buy/try a cheap (2nd hand?) lambda sensor before imho.
Nice idea Seb but if i goto scrappies tomorrow i could get one but that may also be knackered! :down:

frank

Club Member
just check the voltage on the middle wire of the lambda shaun, i tested my spare ones the other day and the 2 duff ones showed no reading at all

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

***StaGGeRed***
Ok i think i will go scrappies tomorrow for lambda see how much they want and find a shiny one. see if that works. if not i shall try and clean the maf?

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

***StaGGeRed***
just check the voltage on the middle wire of the lambda shaun, i tested my spare ones the other day and the 2 duff ones showed no reading at all
ok so check the middle wire and voltage should be normal car reading? 11-14v?
depending on if its running or not. Then off to the scrappies i guess.

frank

Club Member
ok so check the middle wire and voltage should be normal car reading? 11-14v?
depending on if its running or not. Then off to the scrappies i guess.

no, it should bounce between .4v and .6v at cruise (steady 2k rpm or whatever) and drop to near zero on throttle lift

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

***StaGGeRed***
no, it should bounce between .4v and .6v at cruise (steady 2k rpm or whatever) and drop to near zero on throttle lift
Ah ok so i am looking for very minimal readings. and if it's knackered absolutely nothing?

Also before i completely point my finger at the Lambda.
Anything else anyone can suggest?

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

***StaGGeRed***
.......... well it can indicate lean conditions (0v, fuel starvation) or overfueling (1v, flooding)
its very limited in scope compared to a wideband lambda, but it can guide you
Ok well i'll try and test it tomorrow i think Mck has a voltage tester now :suspect:
and will take it from there.

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

***StaGGeRed***
yes shaun, all the pre 2000 ones are 3 wire with the same plug :grinning:
I was just thinking if scrappies are open today ill head up there at 9 and see what i can get away with. can always test the wire out later. :D

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

***StaGGeRed***
Ok scrappies are closed so tomorrow is the only time i can have a decent look at it before i travel to northampton!
will try and test the wire today.

Also it seems the harder you push the car the more frequent this jumping happens.
still with the lambda boys?

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

***StaGGeRed***
Ok voltage test was useless.
kept getting loads of different readings so we won't go there. :glare:
Drove halfway home without the lambda connected and it was still doing it.
plugged it back in and still persisted.
Problem seems to be getting worse with continuous hesitation throughout every gear all over the rev range.
Leads me to believe it could be to do with fuel/air delivery grr

Any suggestions?
Plugs and Ht leads are fairly new and considering i didn't buy this car too long ago i don't think it's that.

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

***StaGGeRed***
Did it get better without the lambda connected or was it exactly the same?
Same, well as much as it could be.
As i said it's a little bit random seems to judder right through the rev range throughout all gears including 5th down the motorway :(

I have the same problem too, first started a couple of months ago, very rarely. now seems to be more often but normally when i am gunning it. I had several ideas but dont really know enough about cars to solve the issue, could be air starvation but all seems to be ok there, fuel maybe but again consumption seems to be normal.
One thing I have noticed it seems to happen more often after the cars has been sat for an amount of time, 10 mins onwards, either running or not, im super confused!!!

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

***StaGGeRed***
what colour was your 'middle' wire, if it was black then you measured the wrong one.
Haha dunno just checked the middle one :glare:
i can go out and check a bit later it's just annoying that it has started to happen so suddenly.
i can't get into the scrapyard until wednesday as tuesday is a bank holiday too apparantly!

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

***StaGGeRed***
Also just to make damn sure this can't be it. the day before the juddering started i put a fiver worth of 97 octane fuel in because the station had nought else.
The car should still run fine with this anyways?
I put £20 worth of 92 in yesterday evening after the juddering had started.

Keep thinking of anything i have done recently to make this stuff happen. :(