Help!!!

Hi,

I currently have a Y reg green Micra that I am trying to sell. The problem being is there is a running issue. It has been in and out of garages since the beginning of the year and they have still not been able to diagnose the problem. The problem does not show up on the diagnostic machine so it is not a quick problem to fix. I have spent over £600 on my car trying to fix it and have now come to the end of the road. I have googled the problem and it sounds like it is the throttle body housing which is going to cost another £200 to fix and this may not be the issue so I can no longer afford to try to fix it. It has a new exhaust and new radiator and would be a great a car for someone who knows a lot about them or it can be broken down for parts. I am at a loss as to where to go to sell it which is why I have come on here. If there is anyone who is interested in buying my car please contact me or if there is someone that can give me advice I would really appreciate it.

Thank you

Helen

Hi Helen. Youve not actually said what your issue is though. A little more info required.
Hi Agent Sm1th, Sorry for not explaining the problem. Right here goes......... It doesn't happen all the time but when I start the car first time and drive somewhere it is normally fine although it sounds a little like my exhaust is blowing which is not possible considering it is a new exhaust. The exhaust was replaced a few weeks ago and I thought the blowing was to do with the old exhaust however it is still happening. Then after I have stopped the car and restarted it the engine feels like there isn't enough power so judders and then cuts out. It will do this a few times and then eventually I will be able to drive away but not with full power. Then the power kicks eventually. It was cutting out when I was changing down gear and approaching roundabouts or traffic lights but it has not done this for a while. I have tried not to drive it very often due to this issue. As you can imagine this is slightly unnerving when on a busy road. I googled the symptoms and it came up with the throttle body housing needing to be replaced. I have spent quite a lot of money trying to fix the problem however it is not an issue which shows up on the diagnostic machine so it would be a case of trial and error until finding the issue. Something garages are a little reluctant to do as this it time consuming and costly on my part.

I hope my explanation makes sense as would greatly appreciate advice. It would be a good car for someone who could fix the issue themselves or break it down for parts.

Thank you

i would try disconnecting the maf helen, there are many threads on here (try a google search on "micra.org coilpack maf")

i would try disconnecting the maf helen, there are many threads on here (try a google search on "micra.org coilpack maf")
Thank you Frank. Ill google that now. I wouldn't know where to beginning with disconnecting the maf. I have googled it and it says its either the throttle body or coil pack. How do I know if my car is a coilpack version?

coilpack models are post 2000, which should include your Y reg, google pics should show the different types
these are the 4 coilpacks, and the maf to the left side of the throttlebody

Nissan-Micra-K11-Engine-10-Petrol-Complete-Engine.jpg

Last edited:
coilpack models are post 2000, which should include your Y reg, google pics should show the different types
these are the 4 coilpacks, and the maf to the left side of the throttlebody

View attachment 51327
Hi Frank, To be honest I would like to sell the car as I'm not a mechanic so wouldn't know the first thing about working on my car. I know the basics of maintaining a car but that's as far as my knowledge goes. Would you be able to guide me in the right direction to either sell for breaking down or for someone to fix up.

Hello Helen. Had the same as you with that type of fault.
I disconnected the MAF and the car ran perfectly well without it.
It would very occasionally drop on idle, but righted itself within a couple of seconds, and eventually it stopped doing that and ran perfectly, just on a lower idle - fixed.
Look at Franks picture, you can see the MAF at the top of the engine...to the left hand side. Have a look at yours, just take it off and see what happens - you can do it yourself, just have a good look at the fitting and pull it off. Then just leave it hang there no problem.
Further to your post, I can get a throttle body from the scrappers for about £20 + postage if that helps.
There's 3 Micras out there at this time, so I can get different types...pre and post facelift.
What year is your motor (?)
Hope that helps....cheers davyboy.
If you put MAF in the search bar you will get a better picture up no doubt.

Hello Helen. Had the same as you with that type of fault.
I disconnected the MAF and the car ran perfectly well without it.
It would very occasionally drop on idle, but righted itself within a couple of seconds, and eventually it stopped doing that and ran perfectly, just on a lower idle - fixed.
Look at Franks picture, you can see the MAF at the top of the engine...to the left hand side. Have a look at yours, just take it off and see what happens - you can do it yourself, just have a good look at the fitting and pull it off. Then just leave it hang there no problem.
Further to your post, I can get a throttle body from the scrappers for about £20 + postage if that helps.
There's 3 Micras out there at this time, so I can get different types...pre and post facelift.
What year is your motor (?)
Hope that helps....cheers davyboy.
If you put MAF in the search bar you will get a better picture up no doubt.
Hi Davyboy,
Thank you for all the info I will disconnect the MAF first thing tomorrow! I'm really excited coz if this sorts my car out I'm going to be the happiest person ever. I was at a complete loss until I joined this forum and was starting to think I would need to scrap my car :(. So how will I know if the throttle body needs replacing? Plus once I have disconnected the MAF what should I do next?
Thanks for your help.
Cheers
Helen

Hello again Helen. When you disconnect the MAF (mass airflow sensor) the problem is fixed immediately !!!
You will get a bit of low idle, almost stalling for a few days afterwards (but not a lot) but when the ECU (electronic control unit) adjusts itself to no MAF the car will run fine....mine did for 2 years without problem until I moved it on.
If the Maf is the problem this fixed mine.
If your problem is not solved then I would change the TB (throttle body) a common fault on these little girls.
I can get you a TB from my local scrappy for around £20 + postage. I only charge what it costs me to get it plus postage....might be a few bob more - or less.... depends what they want for it.
Let me know asap before they crush what they have, and if you want one I'll go and fetch it for you. Your garage should take about an hour to remove, and replace the new one.
Lets hope you fix your problem tomorrow.
Cheers davyboy.

Hello again Helen. When you disconnect the MAF (mass airflow sensor) the problem is fixed immediately !!!
You will get a bit of low idle, almost stalling for a few days afterwards (but not a lot) but when the ECU (electronic control unit) adjusts itself to no MAF the car will run fine....mine did for 2 years without problem until I moved it on.
If the Maf is the problem this fixed mine.
If your problem is not solved then I would change the TB (throttle body) a common fault on these little girls.
I can get you a TB from my local scrappy for around £20 + postage. I only charge what it costs me to get it plus postage....might be a few bob more - or less.... depends what they want for it.
Let me know asap before they crush what they have, and if you want one I'll go and fetch it for you. Your garage should take about an hour to remove, and replace the new one.
Lets hope you fix your problem tomorrow.
Cheers davyboy.

Morning Davyboy,

Right MAF has been disconnected and it appears to have worked :). My exhaust still sounds like its blowing like I have a hole in it though :(. Since I have disconnected the MAF my check engine light came on is this ok and normal? Would the blowing from the exhaust be something to do with the TB?
Cheers
Helen

Hello Helen. You still may get the odd hiccup on idle, but it sorts itself out, I used to turn the engine off then on and that sorted it.
It did stop doing it after a few days anyway.
The light coming on...I had the same, I just took the bulb out, and ran without it - car ran fine for 2 years afterwards.
The blowing exhaust.....put the bottom of your shoe over the exhaust to block it....you will be able to tell then whether the exhaust is blowing.
You said you had one fitted recently (?) take it back if blowing and ask them to check it, and nothing to do with the throttle body.
Hope your fixed now - :)
Any other problems - just ask the forum.

Hello Helen. You still may get the odd hiccup on idle, but it sorts itself out, I used to turn the engine off then on and that sorted it.
The light coming on...I had the same, I just took the bulb out, and ran without it - car ran fine for 2 years afterwards.
The blowing exhaust.....put the bottom of your shoe over the exhaust to block it....you will be able to tell then whether the exhaust is blowing.
You said you had one fitted recently (?) take it back if blowing and ask them to check it, and nothing to do with the throttle body.
Hi Davyboy,
Checked my exhaust and it isn't blowing. It was basically sounding a little like I had a boy racer exhaust on my car. Its seems to have stopped although I will keep an eye on it. Thanks again for all your help. This forum is ace!
Cheers
Helen

Hi Davyboy,

Sorry to bother you again but it appears that my car has reverted to what it was doing before and this morning every time I have put my foot on the clutch to change down gear either to go round a roundabout or a corner the engine just dies. The exhaust sounds terrible again too. Really loud. I think it's the throttle body and I have no idea why it's making my exhaust sound like it is. The engine has been juddering like it's going to die the past few days however I put that down to it sorting itself out after disconnecting the MAF. Do you think I need a throttle body?
Cheers
Helen

I had a similar problem. Changed lambda sensor the issue was sorted. Lambda sensor was original one bought online from Latvia for around £50.

Hello Helen. That's a pity, I would just give it a little bit longer to see if it can right itself.
If not, Frank is right, you need to read the codes to find the fault, it does not sound like there's a lot wrong.
When the engine is spluttering/backfiring....take a lead off to see if anyone of them makes a difference, it may be a coilpack breaking down, it may be just a lead breaking down, there's a bucket load of minor stuff it could be.Do you have anyone to help you with this (?)
You may be near one the members who would I'm sure help you out.
Search code readers on the forum to find which is the best for you....they're cheap enough.
I have coilpacks here for a £5 note + the postage if you need one, don't pay through the nose for one elsewhere.
The hardest part is finding the fault, but you will get there in the end, it's just frustrating, and is usually the last thing you check.
Cheers davy.

Hello Helen. That's a pity, I would just give it a little bit longer to see if it can right itself.
If not, Frank is right, you need to read the codes to find the fault, it does not sound like there's a lot wrong.
When the engine is spluttering/backfiring....take a lead off to see if anyone of them makes a difference, it may be a coilpack breaking down, it may be just a lead breaking down, there's a bucket load of minor stuff it could be.Do you have anyone to help you with this (?)
You may be near one the members who would I'm sure help you out.
Search code readers on the forum to find which is the best for you....they're cheap enough.
I have coilpacks here for a £5 note + the postage if you need one, don't pay through the nose for one elsewhere.
The hardest part is finding the fault, but you will get there in the end, it's just frustrating, and is usually the last thing you check.
Cheers davy.
Hi Davyboy,
I haven't been on the forum in a few days and didn't realise I had a message from you or rather from a few others too. No I don't have anyone that can help me here unless I take it to a garage and I have already had 2 garages wash their hands of my car because it was too time consuming to figure out the problem. I don't want to take it to a garage because I just cant afford it right now. My lambda sensor has already been changed so I know its not that. When you say take a lead off do you mean disconnect one of the coilpacks? I have taken a video of what my car is currently doing in the hope that one of you might have an idea of what is going on under the hood but I cant seem to upload it on to here. I think I want to cut my losses and sell the car for parts so I can at least try and make something back from what I have spent on it. Is it worth trying to sell it on here?
Thanks
Helen

Back