Help with VINYL and My Dash

Ok guys so this is my second post on here. and i was just wandering if someone could give me the heads up on an idea i have. i have a white k11 auto so my god can it get boring to drive and well it dont look to great inside its grey and got some really nasty cheap seat covers. i want to take the dash out and all the plastics including door cards and cover them in a white leatherette vinyl. and then fit maybe a bay blue or something there a like carpet and spray and buttons or dials i have to but take my time with it so i get good results i would like to know its its going to be possible and well if its going to be safe as im going to need to use contact glue like spray glue on the dash for the vinyl to stick and if it gets hot am i looking at driving around in a bbq on wheels ?

any help you guys can give me on interior mods and maybe what seats i cant get to fit even if it means me breaking out the welder i dont mind

many thanks in advance

dave

hey mate, vinyl is pretty good for flat surfaces but on summert with lumps and bumps after a while it'll probly lift and look a bit shappy. alcantara or suede is quite pricey but will give you better results. the better option, imo, is to paint your parts. quite a few of the guys have done this and it looks quite nice. try and source a spare dash so you can take your time.

as for seats, if you can weld then you can fab up virtually any seat to fit, you just have to be careful on dimensions i;e not too wide or tall. hope this helps mate. :grinning:

hey there thanks for the help mate i did reply yesterday but the forum ######ed up and my net timed out and i lost what i wrote

i had a look into the materials you suggested and it does look really nice ill give you that but the alacantara i found was £80 a meter and it would cost me a fortune to do my dash in it lol my dash would be worth more than the car. i found some pretty decent faux suede. about 9 quid a meter. and like you say i could get a spare dash and spary it up. would it require specalised paints for that like latex based or something so they dont crack and split and is it a case of my buying or renting a compressor and spray gun to do the job or just out of spray cans.

anyway thanks again. and i see in your name that you either have tat2 or you do them nice one i did tat2ing for about 3 years and my mate owns his own shop now in bolsover chesterfield way.

really appreciate the advice everyone here offers

A white dash will reflect really badly off your windows and you won't be able to see where you are going, it's why they are dark colours as standard.

Put some white paper on your dash in front of you and drive about in various lighting conditions and you'll see what I mean.

take a look at my blog. i've pretty much sprayed the whole dash & centre console. Took me a few days to do it all, and i did it all in my back garden with halfords spray cans. Plastic primer, and matt black. 5 or 6 light coats should do it. Clear coat is ment to make it more durable but I didn't bother as it's matt black. I don't like shiny! Make sure you give the plastics a really good clean and sand it down smooth.

yeah i think if your gonna spray it just do the clock surround, heater control surround and get a white gear knob. keep it simple. you wont need spec paint for these parts. key them up with the rough green backing on a sponge, bit of plastic primer and then your white, then laquer to finish. just use rattle cans, cheap and easy mod mate.

yeah i got a few tattoos mate and was tattooing for around 3 years myself but just couldnt break into the industry. got a lil nippa on the way so its time to get real again and find a 9-5 :laugh:

Back