Help with getting dash out to replace bulbs with colour leds

I have a few questions. What leds do I need to go behind the dials? What about the clock? (do they use the same type as well?)

I take it these are the two screws I need to get out to take the dash cover thing off? The problem is I can't get the one behind the stearing wheel even when I lower the stearing wheel as low as it goes. How do I do it?

and even that what do I do to get behind the dials to actually change the bulbs.

I'm a total NOOB btw lol

Photo0058.jpg

Photo0060.jpg

capnmchl

Ex. Club Member
Just get a longish screwdriver up there, from round the back of the cowling, and wiggle round a bit till you get some purchase. They've got pretty deep heads, so once it's in, you don't have much problem of the screwdriver coming out. That, or take the steering wheel cowling off, but that's more effort then you need.

As for the LED's, these are the ones I used. From the looks of it, you can only get these in blue, or xenon white, but they're very bright. You need 5 in total, 4 for the dask, 1 for the clock, but i advise buying 6 or 7, because I had one that didn't work right out the packet. They just slot right in the holders for the bulbs, and any 5mm ones like that should as well. Same with bulbs, 5mm width on the contacts.

http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/ultimate....html?osCsid=39a666d55e02c60317d4a170017bf6b5

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
Use a long handled screw driver to undo the screw by the column lever. Once thats removed the whole dial surround should lift up and out. You'll see 3 screws holding the actual dials on (left,right and upper top) remove these screws. The plug on the back of the dials is for your milage,this should just unclip and pull out.

The back of the dials should look like this:

dash-2.jpg

Remove the bulbs circled and replace with your coloured ones. Reverse the above instructions to put the dials back together

leeandjude

Club Member (Trial)
Im wanting to do this too so im watching this with interest!

can you mix colours? ie do cetain bulbs light different parts of the dash? if not i presume the bulb for the clock/mileage is.

can someone confirm the bulbs as mentioned above as im ready to order.

pjg1979

THIS IS MY BOOMSTICK!
There should be a couple of DIY guides on here, but I shall give you one pointer, once you have fitted all the LED's before re-assembling the Speedo and a Cowl, re-attach the battery cable and turn your side lights on to make your the LED's are in the right way as they are Polarity Sensative.

the ones in the link are like a twin bulb thing, they do not fit, i cannot find these blue plastic with xenon white bulbs in them, so i bought the ones in the link which do not fit my Super S

OP
OP
T
Done the dials and the clock guys, will take pic tonight and if anyone needs help hit me up because i'm sure i've asked enough questions to know it all now lol.

samcsd

Ex. Club Member
I gave it a go yesterday in school but I couldnt get the box with the controls out. I took the faceplate of, and took the headunit out but still no luck.

My dash looks like a seventies disco though, really should have colour coded, i'll take a pic later and post it tomorrow

OP
OP
T
yeah my clock is a nice white but its not toooo bright and the dials are a nice blue. my head unit has blue, white and red it looks great. I want to get blue for my lighter as the light is currently green.

samcsd

Ex. Club Member
Looks nice thyme!

Thanks hoodedreeper!
I put yellow and red bulbs in at first but their rubbish, no brightness at all, so I changed the fuel, temp and clock and left the speedo with yellow/red so its not too in your face...