help with cd player, STATIC SHOCK

caphj7

Buy & Sell Member
hi , i have just refitted my stereo in my car because before i was using it just on the accessory so i had to reset the bass/treble etc everytime i wanted to use it. i have now put the 12V constant wire on which runs straight from the battery +ve terminal. but everytime i touch the drivers door i get a nasty static shock!!!!!!! i dont know whether this is dangerous or what i should do to prevent it? i have used the brown +ve wire that my old original radio was linked onto and this is only active when the accessory position is activated by the key. i have used a black wire with a yellow line that is next to the brown wire as the earth. The cd player works fine just as normal all powers up, has its memory...perfect!! i was looking for some advice as to whether this is normal or maybe something wrong?

please help
thanks adam

Turtle

Ex. Club Member
Think the static shock from your door is probably caused by electrons (which are negatively charged) being pulled off the bodywork while the car is in motion, leaving the car positively charged... so when you earth the car by closing the door, touching the metal, you get a static shock.

It happens more when the air is less humid (i.e. spring time), so if you noticed it more this week, its because its been a dry week!

I doubt its to do with your radio... but try shocking yourself without driving the car anywhere.

It probably is the weather causing the shocks because I've been getting them all week and it's doing my head in, I find that holding the door frame before I put my foot on the floor when getting out stops the shock, it must earth it out.

superls

K10 Tuner
no its not the radio as that runs on 12volts which will not shack you, you can grab both battery terminals and feel nothing.

it is caused by the climate, weather and believe it or not the tyres you have fitted to the car