Help to get NON NATS ecu to run a NATS car please.

Hey all, so I got a bit of a problem that I hope someone on here can solve, fix.

I have had an IMPUL supercharger kit fitted to my car by a local garage. The kit comprises of the compressor, belt, pulley, intake manifold mounting, and a replacement ecu that has the fueling map and charger switching program in it. However, being the kit is imported from Japan, an originally designed for a Cube with the CR14DE engine, it doesn't have NATS. My UK car DOES have NATS. When the garage fitted the charger and changed over the ecu, they couldn't get the car to start, or was really hard to start and just kept cutting out.

So my question is, has anyone been able to disable the NATS system or bypass it in order to use a non NATS ecu? I have read an old post from 2007 someone called ED has done some moving around of pins or something inside the ecu to use a non NATS ecu in a NATS car. IS ED still on here by any chance? Or anyone know what has been done? Thanks.

OP
OP
H
Oh,ok. That simple? What about the bcm? Or is the bcm not affected/universal? I mean, is it the ecu that has the immobiliser inside and not the bcm? Do I need an original key that came with the jap ecu in order to sync a new key?

Last edited:

frank

Club Member
the nats loom is sure to be different, so probably need a very good autosparky, or jdm loom and virginised bcm ?

OP
OP
H
Have just realised that the parts being JDM, I should try replacing the UK parts of the NATS with JDM parts without NATS. So I need to find a bcm and ignition barrel with key/s from a JDM car because they don't have NATS, so fingers crossed my theory is correct. Would I need to change the speedo gauges aswell though or just the bcm and ignition barrel?

frank

Club Member
on the pre 2000 k11,s ed used to switch about 4 pinouts inside the ecu, if k12,s are the same then that would be the easiest route
nissan switched the wires to stop anyone swapping a prenats ecu in to steal the car

huttojb

Club Member
EPS System Guru
Hello

I’m going to give my 2pence worth! The Nissan March (k12 Japans equivalent) does not have NATS, I think it was a british standards thing to have NATS on European Vehicles.

I believe the NATS system is authored from the BCM, if the BCM doesn’t receive all the correct NATs codes from ECM, EPS, Cluster etc.. it won’t start the vehicle.

So if you replug the ECM back in and monitor the CANbus, and even record it, you could disconnect the ECM and replay the CAN messages back you’ll need to analyse the CANbus and try and work out the messages but it’s do-able.

Could you replug the original ECU back in or have you totally removed the wiring?

Jason.

OP
OP
H
OK, so I bought a JDM BCM, and replaced that and the IMPUL ecu but only get lights on the dash, no crank at all. Maybe the transponder ring on the ignition barrel is trying to send a signal to the JDM BCM which is confusing it and won't do anything. I don't know, what next?

Would it be possible if I keep the UK BCM, and get the NATS program on the UK ecu cloned onto the IMPUL ecu? Or is it as above, possibly need some wires moved?

I have phoned the local Nissan dealer and told them what I have done, and the guy said they can TRY code the JDM BCM to the car, but that doesn't help with the JDM ecu.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H
Hello

I’m going to give my 2pence worth! The Nissan March (k12 Japans equivalent) does not have NATS, I think it was a british standards thing to have NATS on European Vehicles.

I believe the NATS system is authored from the BCM, if the BCM doesn’t receive all the correct NATs codes from ECM, EPS, Cluster etc.. it won’t start the vehicle.

So if you replug the ECM back in and monitor the CANbus, and even record it, you could disconnect the ECM and replay the CAN messages back you’ll need to analyse the CANbus and try and work out the messages but it’s do-able.

Could you replug the original ECU back in or have you totally removed the wiring?

Jason.

Haven't stripped anything from the car at all, just swapped over the UK ecu with the JDM one, got dash lights when turn the key but no crank at all.

huttojb

Club Member
EPS System Guru
My initial thoughts, if you can get it back to a starting car, you can monitor the CANbus, and attempt to try and find the security message and reply this back in. This won’t be easy, but it is do’able!!