help! speedo not working

butta

Kicked in the Member
:down: I have got a 1998 micra si and it has a electric speedo drive/sensor that fits in the top of the gearbox this sensor has failed four times in twelve months (no external damage just to the electrics inside). i have checked the gearbox oil level and type and the earth straps to the gearbox but it still fails every few months. am new to the msc so any help/advice is greatly recived

NeX

You're after my robot bee
Club Member
have you replaced the entire unit?

are you sure its the unit on the gearbox?

is there any rust etc on the wires/plugs?

can the unit move freely?

i don't know much about the electronic speedos but it seems to me like there is a voltage leak or something that is slowly damaging the sensor,

you will probably find it is the loom between the sensor and guage cluster. if you have a multimeter then check it out ;)

good luck mate :)

Swiper

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
this happen to me, twice in two weeks. i changed the gear box oil as it looked a bit creamy on mine. this seems to have sorted the problem for now.
one of the speedeo drives, the cog melted off the end. the other started to melt off.

OP
OP
butta

butta

Kicked in the Member
thanks for the feedback so far

have checked the loom between speed sensor and clock and the circut is fine. and i did change the whole sensor unit each time. i am starting to think the speedo might be the fault. can anybody think of anything else cuz im confused?