help please

jim_bling

Ex. Club Member
hey peeps had a bit of a accident on friday was reversing up a hill near mine because i couldnt get through a stupid chicane thing because of a broken down bus as i was reversing a taxi came belting down towards me so i slamed on the breaks and turned my wheel ended up doin a j turn and hittin the kerb with my wheel .....

so as i went 2 drive away as the taxi went screaming past me callin me a (cant say that on here) my car droped on the front i pulled over and went to check the car thought i had blew the tyre but as i looked my strut had snapped so after being nearly 2 and a half hours late for work me and my dad got another strut and fitted was exactly the same as mine but after we put the wheel on the wheel doesnt sit straight no more and neither does the steering wheel

we think its the wishbone but what else should i be lookin for peeps please help as i need car for work pics will b great from any one

pics is how the wheel sits now

jim_bling

might have the same problem as ceirwan eh !
theres a casting (dealers call it a knucle) most people call it the hub, that the strut bolts onto, i,ve seen a few bent ones in the past.
a pic of the wishbone would be a help.

It's most likely to be a bent bottom arm if the strut snapped, it's probably the weakest part of the front suspension.

sonic

i, ve never known you to be wrong, but i beg to differ.
i,m assuming that when the strut was changed it still looked the same, those castings are only about 15mm x 30mm where they bolt to the strut, and i,ve changed a few bent ones a while back

Thinking about it Frank, the way the wheel hit the kerb in the accident it is possible to have bent the shock mount on the hub as it is quite a vunerable and prominant part of the casting, if the force of the bump was enough to bend and break these two components then it has in all likelyhood to have damaged the wheel as well, I would also check the condition of the tyre, it could easily damage the banding in the sidewall.

well change the wish bone and its still the same so quick fit here i come cant waste no more time on it no more need it for work

Get it jacked up and have some photos/ a look underneath, try to find out what is bent.

cant get the hub bit off the axel its a pain under the car now wot was the difference between the face lift and facelift face lift struts can any one help we think its the strut that at fault to long and pushing the knuckel out

packed up me gear now have work tomorrow think the bearings have gone so gona replace whole knuckel hub etc

Frank

its stuck on canny tight like we have tried hitting it with a hammer but its not budgeing any ideas how to get it off cheers and me name is kenny by the way so ya`s can stop wrighting jim_bling

kenny

if the shaft is rusted solid in the hub, you might have to pull the c/v joint off the drive shaft (a sharp tap while holding the shaft inwards, and it,ll pop off).
then a nuckle/hub/ c/v assy from a scrappie and youre sorted ?

cheers for all the replies guys car is now fixed and better than what it was before i got it next thing side skirts and spoiler

not 100% sure what was wrong guys i changed the strut wish bone and the whole thing from the knuckel to the hub and that seemed to fix it think the wheel bearings went and we also think the knuckel was bent some where but we couldnt see where

Back