Help Please!

Allright guys and gals, back again after a wee spell!

In desperate need of help with a few problems on the micra. I seem to be having issues with the electrics, which is a pain as I'm not sure exactly whats wrong or how to describe technically, but I can give it my best shot.

I posted up previously that we had stereo issues - ie no power feeding through. Eventually, after much cutting and switching power got through, a bit more and some sound got through too - though it had the result that seveal fuses popped, taking with them the back lights on the car.

The upshot is the stereo is still not working - although the idea of hard wiring power straight from the battery is now being mooted?

Also, the drivers side rear tail light is giving me a headache. Just went for a drive, I seem to loose the taillight when it switches for brake, then loose both when I let the brake go. (if that makes sense) - this likely to be a dodgy bulb/conection or wiring issue?

I also appear to have lost the washer jets - theres water in the system, as far as I can see there are no relating fuses, and certainly none that have blown. Interestingly enough I still get wipers...just no washers!

At wits end so any help gratefully appreciated. As I said, Im pretty #### with electrics, but I can try to get any answers required if it helps solve the problems!

Cheers,
Martyn

Right mate, if you're going to start diagnosing car circuit electrics, you'll at least need a Test Lamp (like £2.99 from Halfords, little screwdriver looking thing with a bulb in it, and a earth lead)so you can check for Live feed, or better yet a Multimeter which are under £10 and you will use it again.

Stereo Problem sounds like a bad earth, or you're trying to take the power from something already using a lot of amps and you're popping the fuses.
Try and keep audio/accesory power away from vehicle/safety power, find out how many amps your stereo + accesories needs, run a new bit of suitably rated + feed wire from battery, and use that. earth everything to car body, not to another earth wire you randomly find under the dash somewhere.

The tail light problem sounds like you got the bulb in the wrong way, the incorrect bulb, or an earthing problem from brake switch, just probe around the lighting circuits at the back of the light cluster and see when you're getting 12v and when you're not. Just start at the back/end and work your way up/towards the battery.

Washer jets, remove the motors, hook straight up to a battery directly, and see if they operate, they might just be burnt out.

Right mate, if you're going to start diagnosing car circuit electrics, you'll at least need a Test Lamp (like £2.99 from Halfords, little screwdriver looking thing with a bulb in it, and a earth lead)so you can check for Live feed, or better yet a Multimeter which are under £10 and you will use it again.

Stereo Problem sounds like a bad earth, or you're trying to take the power from something already using a lot of amps and you're popping the fuses.
Try and keep audio/accesory power away from vehicle/safety power, find out how many amps your stereo + accesories needs, run a new bit of suitably rated + feed wire from battery, and use that. earth everything to car body, not to another earth wire you randomly find under the dash somewhere.

The tail light problem sounds like you got the bulb in the wrong way, the incorrect bulb, or an earthing problem from brake switch, just probe around the lighting circuits at the back of the light cluster and see when you're getting 12v and when you're not. Just start at the back/end and work your way up/towards the battery.

Washer jets, remove the motors, hook straight up to a battery directly, and see if they operate, they might just be burnt out.

Cheers,

I dont have a haynes and can't seem to find the washer motor? Im guessing its hidden away behind the arch, near the actual base of the water resevoir?

I just replaced a bulb on the light cluster, interestingly the actual base itself where the bulb sits has a run of tape round it, holding things together. For all it'll cost, might pick up a new base at the breakers later! I'd imagine that wouldn't be helping the cause!

Righto,

After a bit of messing around (and the buying of a G Clamp) the new brake pads & discs went on last night - with a meeting to goto for work this morning, that was a bit of a scarey moment when the calipers couldn't be wound back! The stereo now draws power directly from the battery (and has a new earthing point :) ) but there was no volume through the speakers. Theory being the last person(s) to try and wire up the stereo may have sent power to the speakers, so we'll test with a new or borrowed set another time!

Slowly but surely she's getting there!

Back