Help on modifying my K11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel

I WILL be back...
1998 K11 super turtle build project

Ok people, thought I'd update this thread slightly and turn it into a proper build thread.

I've had my K11 for about 18 months, only really started modifying it properly in the last 4 months.

Some of these parts were added before and after I first started this thread, I've kind of gone backwards, but thought it would be better for reference :laugh:

Current modifications:

Engine

Pipercross performance air filter
Pipercross cold air feed
K&N oil breather filter
NGK iridium spark plugs
Ashley straight-through cat-back exhaust system
Janspeed de-cat pipe
Jap-style 4” backbox with custom slash cut burnt tip
Heat-proof exhaust wrap from manifold to backbox
Handmade exhaust brackets
Disconnected lambda sensor

Handling

Apexi lowering springs (90mm)
Falken 195/45/R15 tyres
OMP upper front strut brace

Exterior modifications

15” Calibre Dub deep dish alloys
VW Polo front splitter
Open mouth lower grill
Open mouth, resprayed upper grills
Removed all bumper strips, mudguards, stickers, and logos
Removed rear wiper and motor
K11 tailgate handle (pre-facelift)
Bonnet raised by 12mm
Chrome washer jets
Ultra-stubby ariel
Lightweight windscreen wipers
Front callipers and rear drums painted red
Removed middle brake light (inside, above parcel shelf)

Interior

Momo steering wheel
Ripspeed gear knob
Ripspeed handbrake lever
Ripspeed tax disc holder
Ripspeed mats
Ripspeed seatbelt pads
Ripspeed door sill protectors

ICE

Sony head unit with iPod hook-up
2 x Kenwood door speakers with built in tweeters (400 watts each)

I've got a few other modifications in mind, kind of hoping someone can point me in the right direction?

1. Where a buy a cat bypass pipe from that won't be too expensive, and how many will I need? I've been told 1 or 2 and am unsure.
2. What rear splitters and side skirts will fit the K11 Micra? Have seen lots of posts about this, but there seem to be a lot to choose from.
3. Bike carbs - are they easy to fit, and what will I need to fit them apart from the carbs themselves, silicone hoses, and a row of K&N air filters?
4. Where is the easiest place to buy new front wings for the K11? I've tried a lot of scrapyards, and can't seem to find one the right colour - don't want the hassle of a respray.
5. Also looking for a couple of other bits if anyone can help - black K11 bonnet (facelift), and black K11 SR spoiler.

Cheers,

Dan

Glad to see someone who's bought springs and not chopped stock for a change! Welcome to msc mate

Well I thought that the price of a full set of springs compared to the cost of possible having a crash after bodging the stock ones was worth paying lol

Fit the sportex nowwwwwwww. It's awesome. pops and burbles. And welcome :grinning:

It's currently running with a cheap Savage backbox. It's a universal fit, not a direct fit. Should have paid the extra £50 in the first place :doh:

They look pretty sweet as well

cut springs don't mean you will crash. so corsa B coilovers are bad because they weren't intended for micras? aswell as the turbos people are using? wheels? i don't know very many people who keep their car completely stock including fuel octane rating, oil spec, genuine filters?
standard stereo? stock tyres?
anywhoooo! Where's ya pictures?! :wasntme:

hi dan (Y) the post 2000 models only have 1 cat, so their midpipe is longer and is an option as a 2nd decat

cut springs don't mean you will crash. so corsa B coilovers are bad because they weren't intended for micras? aswell as the turbos people are using? wheels? i don't know very many people who keep their car completely stock including fuel octane rating, oil spec, genuine filters?
standard stereo? stock tyres?
anywhoooo! Where's ya pictures?! :wasntme:

I just prefer to buy stuff brand new instead of bodging it. Much better in my experience lol. And a turbo isn't a bad shout actually (Y)

Been trying to post a few pictures but the site won't let me? Maybe someone can help me on that too :laugh:

hi dan (Y) the post 2000 models only have 1 cat, so their midpipe is longer and is an option as a 2nd decat

Isn't the cat on the K11 in the manifold? I'm told that if I can't afford to buy a new bypass pipe (about £130 from Janspeed if I'm not mistaken), I can just fabricate my own and weld 2 flanges on either end? Unless someone out there has a spare one they're willing to sell me?

I've got a janspeed de-cat and to be honest, notice no difference what so ever. It's the primary which causes more restriction.

I've got a janspeed de-cat and to be honest, notice no difference what so ever. It's the primary which causes more restriction.

I did have a Fiesta with a de-cat exhaust system, didn't really notice that much difference either. And a mate of mine has also got a K11 which has been de-catted, notice a bit of difference. But he hasn't got an induction kit or anything, just a new backbox. I'm sure that if I fitted it with bike carbs and de-catted it I'd notice a bigger difference

you might want to leave the first cat on for MOT reasons and get rid of the 2nd one like a lot have done. and use photobucket it's free :D

Yea if you've got the full monty then it'll all come together and make a good difference.

I'm looking at a set of R1 carbs on eBay at the moment, and a set of K&N air filters. Just trying to find an adapter so I can get them fitted, saw a post on here a while ago about one. Not sure if they've still got a spare or not though :(

I think R1 carbs may be too large. We've got a 1.6 super vee at college running 750 carbs. the R1 carbs may over fuel. I'm probably wrong though

I've heard a few people saying that carbs from any 600 are ok, as well as seeing a few Micras with R1 carbs, and even one with Triumph 1100 carbs. There was a race-spec engine on eBay a while back with CBR900 carbs, so I think opinions are mixed. Might just try a set of both and see what's what

Welcome!

Pics or it didn't happen.
Host them somewhere like photobucket then just copy the image link or put the Url between image tags [ img] http://www.photourl.jpg [/ img] without the spaces.

Just posted a link to some pictures now, mate. Really far from finished though, lack of money meant I had to stop. But it's picking back up now

looking good, one of my favourite facelift colours that.

Have you seen this one:
82380-1821581.jpg

If you search for posts by Bias GLX in the K10 section you'll find his description of fitting bike carbs to a cg, he used a modified K10 dizzy.

its all straight!
like the open mouth grill

Thanks, I've been debating whether to fill it in with mesh, and then cut out the middle of the bonnet and do the same thing. Shame about the dent on the nearside front wing though - I have a prat in an Audi A3 to thank for that one. Hopefully I'll be able to get it knocked out, smoothed over, and re-painted

I'm eying up a set of R6 throttle bodies. DAMN YOU DAN :laugh:

Lol, I just saw a set on there for £100 with a row of K&N filters and green silicone connector hoses. I had to get in there quick :grinning:

looking good, one of my favourite facelift colours that.
If you search for posts by Bias GLX in the K10 section you'll find his description of fitting bike carbs to a cg, he used a modified K10 dizzy.

Love the alloys on that, they look sick. Have seen them before, would love a set in black.

It's an ok colour, it took a while but it's kind of grown on me. There's not too many of them about, but everyone near me seems to be buying Micras now. Maybe because they know they're sick (Y)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back