HELP! new sump for k12

hi

im hoping that somebody might be able to help me with this.....

i have a nissan micra 2003 1.0, i went for an oil and filter change yesterday as i had a free voucher. when i went to pick my car up they told me that my sump is badly rusted and that i should think about getting it replaced and that it wasnt even worth doing the oil until it is.

i was then hit with the news that it would cost just under £300 to do this as uniparts do not make a sump for the k12 just the k11 (which is £50) and i would have to get it direct from nissan!! :eek:

i am trying to see if can source a cheaper one but i stll think its going to be pricey.

question is does anyone know where I can get one from that is cheaper????

also if i can get one how hard is it to replace? i know pretty much nothing about cars but my dad has very good knowledge, so if it is just a case of bolting a new one on then he should be ok.

any help would be greatly appreciated. :grinning:

hey frank,sorry for sound dumb but if it is alloy should it not have rusted?

cant do that at the mo, and to be honest i wouldnt know what the sump looked like even if i could get under the car! i had never even heard of a sump until yesterday! :laugh:

yes claire, the steel sumps are very prone to rusting but the later alloy ones should,nt, i would get a 2nd opinion first :grinning:

hmm thats strange!

ive just been speaking to one of my friends who works in a garage and he said that it would be worth getting a second opinion too. ive volunteered my dad to have a look at the weekend and might even take it into my friends garage as well to get another opinion.

also may have found another sump for about £100.

fingers crossed it doesnt need replacing though!!

thanks for your help and ill get back to you if i find out the answer to whether it is steel or alloy... might be of some use in the future! (Y)

well if it is steel it wont rust from the inside out! I would give it a good clean and rub down with some 800 grit then 4 or 5 coats of hammerite

thanks for all he help. :grinning:

so the update is that i got my dad to have a look at it at the weekend and it definately needs replacing. it is a steel sump and is well and truely rusted. i have managed to find another one second hand, which is saving me about £200, yay!

question is.... is it worth using a genune nissan seal for it or has anyone tried using a cheaper one?????

thanks for all he help. :grinning:

so the update is that i got my dad to have a look at it at the weekend and it definately needs replacing. it is a steel sump and is well and truely rusted. i have managed to find another one second hand, which is saving me about £200, yay!

question is.... is it worth using a genune nissan seal for it or has anyone tried using a cheaper one?????

the factory use sealant usually claire

Back