HELP! new sump for k12

hi

im hoping that somebody might be able to help me with this.....

i have a nissan micra 2003 1.0, i went for an oil and filter change yesterday as i had a free voucher. when i went to pick my car up they told me that my sump is badly rusted and that i should think about getting it replaced and that it wasnt even worth doing the oil until it is.

i was then hit with the news that it would cost just under £300 to do this as uniparts do not make a sump for the k12 just the k11 (which is £50) and i would have to get it direct from nissan!! :eek:

i am trying to see if can source a cheaper one but i stll think its going to be pricey.

question is does anyone know where I can get one from that is cheaper????

also if i can get one how hard is it to replace? i know pretty much nothing about cars but my dad has very good knowledge, so if it is just a case of bolting a new one on then he should be ok.

any help would be greatly appreciated. :grinning:

hey frank,sorry for sound dumb but if it is alloy should it not have rusted?

cant do that at the mo, and to be honest i wouldnt know what the sump looked like even if i could get under the car! i had never even heard of a sump until yesterday! :laugh:

frank

Club Member
yes claire, the steel sumps are very prone to rusting but the later alloy ones should,nt, i would get a 2nd opinion first :grinning:

hmm thats strange!

ive just been speaking to one of my friends who works in a garage and he said that it would be worth getting a second opinion too. ive volunteered my dad to have a look at the weekend and might even take it into my friends garage as well to get another opinion.

also may have found another sump for about £100.

fingers crossed it doesnt need replacing though!!

thanks for your help and ill get back to you if i find out the answer to whether it is steel or alloy... might be of some use in the future! (Y)

kennierobo

Buy & Sell Member
well if it is steel it wont rust from the inside out! I would give it a good clean and rub down with some 800 grit then 4 or 5 coats of hammerite

thanks for all he help. :grinning:

so the update is that i got my dad to have a look at it at the weekend and it definately needs replacing. it is a steel sump and is well and truely rusted. i have managed to find another one second hand, which is saving me about £200, yay!

question is.... is it worth using a genune nissan seal for it or has anyone tried using a cheaper one?????

frank

Club Member
thanks for all he help. :grinning:

so the update is that i got my dad to have a look at it at the weekend and it definately needs replacing. it is a steel sump and is well and truely rusted. i have managed to find another one second hand, which is saving me about £200, yay!

question is.... is it worth using a genune nissan seal for it or has anyone tried using a cheaper one?????

the factory use sealant usually claire