Help needed with using springs from a Suzuki alto to lower my car

So all four of the alto ones fit in place?
yes thats what i have, you will need the (shorter) corsa rear shocks to keep them captive tho, and yes your axle will shift about 5 mm to the offside (whether you want to correct that shift is up to you :) )

yes thats what i have, you will need the (shorter) corsa rear shocks to keep them captive tho, and yes your axle will shift about 5 mm to the offside (whether you want to correct that shift is up to you :) )

0_o

didn't know this.

thought only the rears fitted =/

good point MM, 4 rear alto springs needed

Inadvertently helped there xD

what I mean frank is I thought it noyl worked to lower the rear of the car and the front needed a different set up.

So your telling me I can go buy 4 alto rear springs, and 4 corsa shocks (rear aswell? ) and combine them and lower the whole car 50mm? :L

Inadvertently helped there xD

what I mean frank is I thought it noyl worked to lower the rear of the car and the front needed a different set up.

So your telling me I can go buy 4 alto rear springs, and 4 corsa shocks (rear aswell? ) and combine them and lower the whole car 50mm? :L
And what wizardry are you going to use to fit a rear shock to the front..

mine were from circa 90,s cars jack, later ones might fit ok tho ?

Mines a 97, so if I get springs from just around that time it should work okay?

Been looking through threads and there's just so many different things it's hard to find a simple answer haha

The Corsa B rear shocks that I just fitted to mine needed the holes in the bushes drilled out to 12mm. That cost £15 at my local engineering company. Also, the threaded portion that pokes through the top mount was really short in comparison to the Micra one, it was a real fiddle to compress the rubber thingy enough to get the nut on.

The Corsa B rear shocks that I just fitted to mine needed the holes in the bushes drilled out to 12mm. That cost £15 at my local engineering company. Also, the threaded portion that pokes through the top mount was really short in comparison to the Micra one, it was a real fiddle to compress the rubber thingy enough to get the nut on.
I just used a 10mm ss bolt haha

I'm running altos in the rear with standard shocks and cut springs in the front. I'll be swaping the cut springs out for matiz shocks and springs. :)

Call into any parts place and you should be able to pick a full set of these springs for no more than £70
and you should get a set of corsa b shocks for around £30

Show them these pics and they should be able to get them for you.

1397946373387.jpg

1397946384661.jpg

Sorry if this has been asked but can you just use standard shocks from a corsa b with alto springs?

Yep all you need to do is take the standard springs out and replace em with the alto ones and in the rear you swap the standard shocks with corsa b rear shocks. Use alto rear springs all round.

Cheers mate, would corsa c shocks fit? ( a mate of mine has a spare set he'll do for cheap)
Yep all you need to do is take the standard springs out and replace em with the alto ones and in the rear you swap the standard shocks with corsa b rear shocks. Use alto rear springs all round.

They're roughly the same...you just need to grind down the metal bushes so they fit...

Sent from the Magpie's magical nest using Tapatalk

Could I just use a flat file for that? ( ain't got an angle grinder unfortunately)

I suppose you could...if you've got a lot of time on your hands!

Best to borrow a grinder or invest in one...there are so many great things you can destroy with a grinder...

I suppose you could...if you've got a lot of time on your hands!

Best to borrow a grinder or invest in one...there are so many great things you can destroy with a grinder...

Ill see what I can do but I may just have to file away for a while.

It should end up looking like this on both sides (the top one is the standard Micra shock)...

temporary-57.jpg

It should end up looking like this on both sides (the top one is the standard Micra shock)...

temporary-57.jpg

I'm sure I can manage that, it's not too much to take off, I take it you have to be careful not to destroy the rubber?

You have to get the metal right down to about the level of the rubber...probably end up scratching it a bit but that's ok...

You have to get the metal right down to about the level of the rubber...probably end up scratching it a bit but that's ok...

cheers mate, should be lowered by next week or the week after, will possibly put up a guide for others with photos of the process, save them the trouble of having to ask loads of questions like me... :p

Back