Help needed on K12 Cold Start Rev problem

Hi,

I've been having a strange problem with cold starts on my 2003 K12 for the past few weeks and I can't seem to diagnose it.

On a cold start, the car will over rev as you might expect, but immediately the revs will dip up and down wildly a few times before settling down. It can result in the engine flooding if I try and put it into drive/reverse at the wrong moment (i.e. while the revs are dipping). Once the car is in drive it works perfectly, and warm starts are not a problem.

I've taken it to a garage where they ran diagnostics and said there were no error codes. They couldn't find any problems and ended up changing the spark plugs which didn't help at all.

Does anyone have any idea what it might be? I can't seem to find a similar problem mentioned online anywhere - I'm just lucky I guess!

Thank you!

It could be the oxygen sensors that need replacing, you could connect one of the diagnostic scanners and keep an eye on the readings the sensors give, if they jump as the car changes revs and seem to try to readjust constantly that could be the problem.

Oxygen does nothing for the first 30 seconds or so (maybe longer). Unless k12 lamdas have a preheat wire?

Back