HELP! K11 Starting Problem, Engine Flooding

JayY

Owner of The Black Beauty
Over the last couple of month's my K11 has had trouble starting.

It will only happen when left for a couple of days. Initially I was taking the fuse for the fuel pump out and turning it over then putting it back in and it worked fine. But after a few times it didn't work again.

I called the brake down people out about 3 weeks ago and the guy said one of the spark plugs wasn't tight enough and which was causing the engine to flood, so I replaced them and the car was fine up until a few days ago. 4 of my friends help me bump start it and after about 30 mins it started. When it did eventually start a massive cloud of smoke came out and the it was spluttering for a few minutes...

Any idea's as to why it it keep's flooding?

Paul Smith

Site Supporter
Could be a dodgey injector unplug one at a time and try starting it. if you unplug one and starts then you probably have a gammy one. when i say one at a time unplug one try starting plug back in. unplug two try starting and so on.

jowley

Ex. Club Member
sounds like a temp sensor fault almost certian mine had that fault and i got a modified wiring loom for it

OP
OP
JayY

JayY

Owner of The Black Beauty
Thanks guys, after that post I didn't have the problem but it happened yesterday and I didnt manage to get it started, I will try the injectors today. It could well be the temp sensor as well because the gauge flys up occasionaly even though the engine is running fine..

Do you start the car up from cold for less than 5 minutes? i.e to move it off the drive.
If you do, then it will not be easy to start the next day.

Foot flat to the floor while turning over will usually get it started.

There is/was a modified loom to overcome this problem.
I think most people live with it and always run the car for at least 5 mins from cold.

Definately works here too, we had this problem so many times a few years back. After allowing it to run for at least 2 minutes if its cold before switching it off we have had no trouble. The wife did stall it the other day and sure enough it was doing its best to flood on us!, misfiring for a few seconds and a smoky exhaust!

+1 to the loom here. Bought it to try and solve our flooding problem and it worked a treat. As with MarkGSi we try to keep the engine running as long as possible before cutting it again if we're just moving it a bit (Y)

I had this problem a hand full of times last winter. RAC man told me it was engine flooding he took out the fuse and replaced it (felt like idiot i could have done that lol).
The previous night I had just started up the car and moved it round the corner away from some kids playing footie. He said this was the problem, that I had started from cold on a cold night and a minute later turned the engine off. Now I leave the engine running for a extra few minutes or rev it a bit. It hasn't happened since.
Mechanic said it's a common thing with the K11.
Em.

porkpie700

Buy & Sell Member
Could be faulty distributor, it's a common fault. When it's flooded just press the gas pedal down to the floor and hold it there, then crank it over and don't ease of untill the motor acctually starts.
Faulty distributor, no sparky.

distributor cap mate, check the spades inside and get some rough sandpaper and rub down the build up, and i guarantee that you car will not give you problems.. i had that and done that exactly and fires well after a week, before that i went on holdiday for 4 weeks came back and couldnt wait to start up..lol

J