Help ive put petrol in my dci URGENT

Hello. Need some mega help. I put some (3/4 tank) petrol in my dci. I know this is really bad for a common rail car so i havent started it yet (Towed home). Ive stripped it down and i need to know how to depressurise the fuel system.

The haynes says i should disconnect the pump and run it. But I dont really wanna risk that. Any suggestions?

Cheers

pjg1979

THIS IS MY BOOMSTICK!
Oh dear, I remember my boss putting petrol in his diesel note, but he tried to start it, took him 5 hours to get home because he had to wait for the RAC/Garage/Lift Home, I had to laugh. Lucky you noticed though.

OP
OP
D
drain the tank completly then fill her to the brim with diesel dont run it with petrol

Just finnished! one last problem though. I dont know how to bleed the fuel system its full of air. The haynes only covers petrol models :(.

I was very lucky but after owning a diesel for 9 months now I shouldnt really need to be lucky :wasntme:

jowley

Ex. Club Member
easiest way is to either fill the fuel filter with diesel or crank it over foot flat to the floor and it will start when the fuel gets through and it that fails it will need bumping

superls

K10 Tuner
there was no need to depresurise the system as you handnt run it. you only needed to take the drain plug out of the tank.

frank

Club Member
daz, how much diesel have you put in ? because most commonrail diesels will cut the engine after a few secs, if it thinks the tank is too low:)

OP
OP
D
Ive brimmed it, didnt want to risk too much petrol being left over so its 99.9% full of diesel :grinning:. Pedal to the floor methods not working for me keeps running for bowt 30 secs then dies

frank

Club Member
i would say the ecu is now confused as to how much fuel is in the tank (they,re supposed to cut the engine "before" the tank is empty, so as the secondary h/p pump never runs dry apparently)
it may need re-programming via consult maybe ? :)

OP
OP
D
Hmm not too sure the cars showing full tank and the cars starting but you can see airlocks in the clear pipe coming from the filter need to bleed it out somehow. The nissan man said I should just pump the pumper but if it stays stuck in there may be an air leak somewhere.

He told me I should disconnect a fuel pipe between the engine and the pumper and pump it till diesel comes out then put the hose back on and pump till it wont pump anymore. not sure which hose to take off but im sure I can find one when weather clears up

jowley

Ex. Club Member
sounds like its gonna be a nightmare to start there always a disel that comes in that is a nightmare to start after the fuel filters been changed and we have to bump it in the end

jowley

Ex. Club Member
i dont know why they do it but a lot are the same try taking the fuel filter off and filling it if that doesnt work them its gonna have to be bumped they nightmares the new disel engines

OP
OP
D
Back on road now 100% no problems (touch wood)(Y) The bleed pump was ######ed. made a strait through pipe and bled it at the injectors. Cheers for help guys!