Help, I need HELP. I hate split pins and rusty bolts!!!

dg_unit

Club Member (Trial)
Right so day one of attempting to change the clutch on my 1987 k10 ended in abject failure. I've been defeated by the split pins and nuts on the lower ball joints. I thought it would be fine as it's only done 31k but I didn't count on 23 years of rust. Felt so proud of myself after overcoming the transmission drain plug and going to town with a hammer to pop the steering rod balljoint out. Argh. I've soaked them in half a can of PlusGas, gently hammered, not so gently hammered. Can anybody give me some advise on:

1. A good way of removing split pins that doesn't snap them off.
2. How to push them out once they've broken off (FAIL).
3. How to get the nuts off without shearing them. It's such a pain in the arse that you can't get a socket onto it!

I start work again in the morning so I'm gonna get on my sore knees and pray for a mechanical miracle. Any practical advice I'd really really appreciate. Kinda need to get the car on the road by the end of the weekend.

superls

K10 Tuner
hi, sorry to potentially put a downer on you even more, but depending how mechanically minded/experienced you are, you dont need to remove any of the stuff you have said to change the clutch on a k10.

i changed me clutch and flywheel without raising the wheels off the car ramps.

you can unbolt the gearbox and move it in such a way so that you can quite easily change the clutch without removing the drive shafts or anything to do with suspension or steering.

Scott

My name is Scott
Site Supporter
and you can get boxes of split pins for cheap from most motor factors. Probaly enough in a box to do you for the rest of your life lol

and i think you mean the hubnut? if so then i would use an offset ring spanner the right size and a big hammer :grinning:

OP
OP
dg_unit

dg_unit

Club Member (Trial)
Excellent idea. I'll charge my drill!

As for the other way of getting at the gearbox... sounds interesting. What are the complications and method? Anything I shoudl be careful of breaking or messing up?

Failing that, can I get the nuts off with an angle grinder without needing to buy new balljoints (If I' very careful)? I don't even know if they'd come off the steering rod that easily. Caked in rust. Thanks for the quick replies tho :grinning:

OP
OP
dg_unit

dg_unit

Club Member (Trial)
and i think you mean the hubnut? if so then i would use an offset ring spanner the right size and a big hammer :grinning:

Maybe. I didn't think so. It's the nut that holds the lower balljoint on to the whole hub thing (technical term). I thought the hubnut was the big fat one that holds the axel on in the middle of the disc brake.