Help fitting cigarette lighter (97 Shape).

Hi,

I'm in need of some advice fitting the cigarette lighter to my Nissan Micra Shape (97).
I've bought the component to fit this, and am fairly certain I'll be able to work out the electronic side of the job, but I've had issues getting the console off from around the gear lever. I have an automatic, although I think the process is the same.

In my Haines manual, it says to remove the screws either side (which are by your knees in the foot well) and then remove the one at the front (closest to the hand break). However, you need to somehow get the cover off to get to that screw, and although I've tried force, I don't want to break anything just for the sake of the cigarette lighter.

The image below shows what I'm talking about. Somewhere below the DS setting, and between the hand break is another screw that needs removing. Any advice on how to remove this would be great, and any advice on other problems people have encountered when making this amendment to their dash would be very helpful as I haven't done anything like this before.

punkinpunker

I need to remove the gear lever cover to remove the console for the lighter to do the wiring. Those visible screws aren't a problem.

punkinpunker

Basically, where that button is on the picture, is where the screw is on the gear lever casing, its just hidden and I don't know how to get to it.

If you need any more clarification let me know as It's not a great explination.

Many thanks
Jim

pics not working for me, but if you pull up the plastic surround at the bottom of the gear gaiter the screw is in there to remove it. the wiring may allready be there, tucked near you left foot as if you were driving behind the carpet.

pics not working for me, but if you pull up the plastic surround at the bottom of the gear gaiter the screw is in there to remove it. the wiring may allready be there, tucked near you left foot as if you were driving behind the carpet.

Right, now I'm on a proper computer hopefully my reply will work.

You're totally right, that's what I'm on about.
Pictures below:
WP_000797.jpg

WP_000796.jpg

Basically, in the image above, I need to remove the black part to get to the screw beneath. I've tried to pry it off and damaged it slightly. What's the best way to get it off?

I'm glad to hear a lot of the wiring might well be in place. It's a great little car, really low mileage and in good condition, hence why I'm worried about breaking anything off.

Thanks for the help.

Jim

ahh, cvt, according to haynes you needf to take the top of the gear lever off, then lift the rear of the lever surround and witrhdraw rearwards. cant help any more than that sorry as i have no experience doing it on a cvt

ahh, cvt, according to haynes you needf to take the top of the gear lever off, then lift the rear of the lever surround and witrhdraw rearwards. cant help any more than that sorry as i have no experience doing it on a cvt

Yeah I'll have another try tonight, although I did try it as in the manual. Probably just needs a bit more fiddling about. Thanks for the time though.

Back