Help...car cut out:/

Hey guys I was driving home from work earlier this evening and my car went pop and cut out.. There was a strong smell of fuel but no smoke coming out the rear. I checked the fuel pump first and it seems to be working fine as there's fuel coming through the filter..I then tried turning it over and it sounds like it's trying to start with good power from the battery and no knocks from the engine. The oil and water are also okay. Does anyone have any ideas with as to what it could be?? It's a w reg 1.3 . Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
samjdm
I've just turned it over and it started so had a little drive in first and second down my street and it cut as I was slowing to a stop:/ how do I check the spark? Could be intermittent? Other than that could it be tb problems? Thanks frank

Is yours a coilpack or distributor version? My friend had a similar issue. Soldered the MAF and it was fixed, then later it happened again and we thought it was the MAF soldering gone bad, but it turned out to be the distributor. Have it checked at a mechanics' or better even if you can get hold of a timing light you should see the timing advance as you accelerate, otherwise I would say the distributor is goofed.

OP
OP
samjdm
Yeah It's got a distributor. Okay thanks mate much appreciated :) il have a better look this evening when I finish work and keep the thread updated.

OP
OP
samjdm
Little update guys...I managed to get the car running last night so let it warm rite up and raised the revs to a steady 4k and sounded fine so went to test drive it and couldn't get it into gear:/ I pumped the clutch a few times and I can hear the pressure plate disengaging and reengaging so the clutch seems intact?!?! Could this be a sensor issue or could 2things gone at once? Any advice is much appreciated, thanks

OP
OP
samjdm
Update:- ** I started her up yesterday evening no problem and strangely had all my gears back..feels smoother than ever tho so not sure if that's a good or bad thing?! I drove it gently down my street and back no problems however when I revd it, it backfired loud and cut out and wouldn't start again..could smell fuel again too! Could a sensor do this or would it be down to throttle body/injectors? it seems like multiple problems?! Any ideas guys? Thanks

pollyp

Club Member
perhaps the dizzy it retarded too much causing backfire and the coolant sensor is faulty making the ecu think its still freezing & run too rich and/or the O2 is faulty/slow making it run more rich

pollyp

Club Member
I havnt tried that..which fuse box would that be in mate? Cheers

by ur right knee. on pre-facelift tis 2nd one down from upper right or look at inner cover diagram.
IGN off, pull out fuse, crank till it fires up n dies, IGN off, then reinstall fuse

OP
OP
samjdm
Okay cheers guys il give it ago when I get home from work..by doing this what will it show? Thanks again

pollyp

Club Member
it basically purges & burns off the excess fuel in the cylinders caused by the coldstart flooding so that you could then try restarting again from fresh rather than apply too much fuel to an already flooded engine.

OP
OP
samjdm
Okay guys home now and pulled the fuse out..turned it over and it wouldn't go but could still smell fresh fuel?!?! I've since put the fuse back in and it won't start atall now:/ help??? Lol

pollyp

Club Member
Okay guys home now and pulled the fuse out..turned it over and it wouldn't go but could still smell fresh fuel?!?! I've since put the fuse back in and it won't start atall now:/ help??? Lol

if you hear the pump still humming for 4sec after you pulled a fuse, u prob pulled the wrong one. check with the inner cover diagram.

and as frank says check the dizzy loom connectors on fully, did u clean inside the dizzy cap?, HT leads not damaged and lead plugs fully inserted onto spark plugs.
if still not clearing up, take plugs out, crank afew secs to vent the cylinders, check spark by connecting a spark plug to the lead and rest it against the engine block to ground it, crank and it should give a white blue spark.

OP
OP
samjdm
Cheers pollyp...I have done all of that now and still no joy:/ when I took plugs out to check them they looked choked up (black) and they were new around 3months ago...I guess it vented when I took them out tho cos when I put them back in it started straight away. When I checked the spark it was burning blue as it should. It run for about 15 mins so I had a little drive up and down the street just ticking over but as soon as I revd it, it cut out and refused to start again:/ could this be an injector problem? I've asked a few of my mechanic mates and they all said that it could be a number of things:/ I went to a few different dismantlers on the weekend to try get another 1.3 engine as it will be cheaper but I only found 1 and it was coilpack! it would be nice to diagnose this problem but I really don't know what else to check?!?! Cheers again guys