Hello :)

hello! I'm new to this forum! My Lil' Pao is acting up lately. even after I release the handbrake, the brake indicator ️will remain on. Any idea why??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
NiNi
nope that's not it. usually it'll turn off and while I'm driving (ESP after I've made a turn) then the light goes back on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pollyp

Club Member
Hi Nini, check the brake fluid reservoir level.
when the float level is too low it'll trigger the brake warning light circuit on.

assuming the brake system ain't leaking, a low brake fluid level is usually a good indication the brake pads/shoes are wearing down low and may need checking.
if the pads & shoes are all pretty new & thick, best check the whole system for any leaks.

if no leaks and brake materials fine, just top up the reservoir and keep an eye on it.

Hi Ni Ni ,and welcolme to the club. The handbrake lever has a micro switch at the base of the handle, this can be the problem sometimes. If you push down hard on the realeased handbrake lever does the light go out ? If it does the micro switch needs adjustment. Hope this helps.

pollyp

Club Member
nope.... I should probably do that too... not quite sure where to look I'll go check youtube

for the front calipers after removing the front wheels there's usually an inspection hole at the top of the caliper so you can see the thickness of both pads & disc.

for rear drums (dunno if the pao uses same design as the micra but this is from what I experienced) pop the rear wheels off:
if the drum is relatively new unworn you could probably just slide the drum off to inspect the shoes.
if it's abit worn and doesn't slide off without resistance, on the micra you poke a screwdriver through a gromet hole behind the backplate which unlatches & allows the handbrake lever arm in the shoe to retract further back allowing the shoes to be pulled inwards away from the drum so you can pull the drum off. inspect the shoes are within spec.
when refitting, you push the handbrake swing arm back and reinsert this sprung latch the screwdriver had popped off.

rear drums should normally adjust their own resting point automatically but the screwthread on the self-adjusting ratchet mechanisms tend to seize with brake dust & rust over time.
as the shoes continue wearing thin with no self-adjustment, the handbrake travel and hydraulic brake travel becomes longer (so the fluid level drops more during use, maybe why the warning light blinks) before the shoes begin to engage the drums.
often good practice to annually overhaul these self-adjusters to keep em working so the shoes rest close as possible to the drums requiring minimum handbrake & footbrake travel.