Heating/heater matrix help

Hey peeps,

The volume of air coming through the vent is not strong at all, so in the winter time no doubt i will be having trouble.

The air is not that warm so i think there is an air lock, but i think this is a different issues.

Is it possible to get to the heater matrix without taking the dash out ? Is there some sort of drain hole in the matrix under the bonnet ?

Thanks
Ming

I have a simelar problem i think, not wanting to hijack his thread but, my heater works but its cold all the time. Im thinking jus puttin it down to age ect but if thetes something i can do then that would be cool :)

Again sorry to hijack thread

Shaun

***StaGGeRed***
Well you see my heating in the K10 went all cold on me once and it turned out to be the thermostat that was busted, it was stuck open.
as soon as i replaced the thermostat (£10) was all hot again.

OP
OP
Y
Am sure with a flush and bleeding it the temperture will be hot.

But is the volume of air that is coming out that is the problem. Yeah you could feel a slight different setting.

any ideas?

Ming

frank

Club Member
Is there some sort of guide in taking thr dash out ?

IS it a complete dash out job? Surely there is an easier way :D ??????

Found this thread not sure if it similar to my problem as even on highest setting am getting hardly any air ?

http://www.micra.org.uk/threads/36780-Heater-fan-not-working

Ming

you will probably gain a better access if you remove the glovebox ming (2 plastic pins in the hinges)
then you can check the cables are actuating the flaps and stuff
but the dash is,nt too bad a job to remove (various philips screws and 10mm bolts)

OP
OP
Y
Thanks frank that gave me confidence :). IS the wiring all attached to the dash, or is a case of after I take the screws off and 10mm bolts, it will just pop off ?

Thanks
Ming

frank

Club Member
Thanks frank that gave me confidence :). IS the wiring all attached to the dash, or is a case of after I take the screws off and 10mm bolts, it will just pop off ?

Thanks
Ming

its just the wires to the switches in the centre console that you have to unplug iirc ming, and i found the dash gets somewhat trapped by the steering wheel and screen (either brute force needed, or else leave it 1/2 off/on while you access the heater are maybe ?)

OP
OP
Y
Ah thanks for the heads up, so does that mean the dash comes off in 2 parts?

I will take some picture along the way :).

Thanks
Ming

OP
OP
Y
has anyone found their matrix to be block/sluged up before?
that semi taking it off/up sounds best bet

To be honest, am trying to find reason to not to take the dash off.... but i can;t seem to find any answers that point else where to the problem!

Thanks
Ming

OP
OP
Y
101_0346webedit.jpg

Found this picture, could someone point out where is the heater matrix located?

Thanks
ming

OP
OP
Y
Found the problem!!!!

The air is all blowing out of the glove box are and all cold. But there are small amount of hot air coming out the window vent.

So does that mean there is a pip burst or something?

Please advise on how to cure this!

Thanks
Ming

frank

Club Member
it wont be a pipe problem ming, the matrix is connected continously iirc and the coolant flows through the heater only, until the thermostat opens (even if the heater is set to cold)
you need to check that all the flaps are opening and closing fully when you move the various knobs

frank

Club Member
Thanks frank, but how does this explain air blowing out of the glove box?

Ming

there must be something amiss on yours then ming, i checked mine and the heater matrix gets coolant flow all the time (even if you turn the controls to cold) and a flap will direct the airflow through the matrix only when turned towards hot (ie, no air flows through the matrix when set to cold)
so you need to check that the flaps are being moved by the cables (dash off job :eek:)

OP
OP
Y
np ming :grinning: incidently mine make a light "thud" noise when i turn the knob to hot (where the flap switches to fully open)

Ah yeah, this also makes a loud clicking noise when it goes to full hot or full cold.

Any problem occured, she is dropping the car off tonight...

ming

frank

Club Member
Ah yeah, this also makes a loud clicking noise when it goes to full hot or full cold.

Any problem occured, she is dropping the car off tonight...

ming

well if its making a light thud, it may be working ok ming fwn
have you removed the glovebox yet ?

OP
OP
Y
Right here is a picture where the air is coming out from and is this normal ?

CIMG3262.JPG

The brown bit is where the car is coming from. And the volume of air does decrease and increase with the switch on dash. But the air doesn't seem to get directed with the switch .....

Any ideaS?

Ming

OP
OP
Y
Right that cable is not doing anything. As when i move the latch the cable operates the brown bit moves.

I push the latch and it seems i am having more ait coming out the window vent and blowing out the face vent.

And is that the cable that directs where the air goes to ?

Thanks
Ming

OP
OP
Y
What side knob? IS it the the cable is attached to ?

So what i need to do to get more air.... to the window etc?

Thanks
Ming

frank

Club Member
What side knob? IS it the the cable is attached to ?

Thanks
Ming

on a pre-faclift its the slider knob at the bottom ming, and the hot or cold knob operates a vertical flap that you can only see down the upper aperture arrowed
attachment.php

Attachments

• dash.jpg
    dash.jpg
    795.7 KB · Views: 15,289
OP
OP
Y
so if i understood this correctly,

- Arrow pointing upwards is the knob that controls hot/cold

- Arrow point down the way is the slider knob that control the flaps that direct the air?

Thanks
Ming

frank

Club Member
no ming lol :laugh: the lower arrow is where i showed you was the matrix in a previous post, the upper arrow is where you have to look down the vent to see the hot/cold flap

OP
OP
Y
Thanks everyone, stripped the dash everything is working as normal. Then went to look at the filter, it was caked with crap!!!!!!

On sat, so couldn't get a replacement, so i just removed all the wool and left the mesh as a temp solution. The air coming out now is amazing!

Looking at it, you might able to remove the filter just by removing the compartment box!

Anyway couldn't do it with you guys and the pic helped alot!

OH and where to buy that filter :)?

Thanks
Ming

OP
OP
Y
Hi peeps,

Just to update, i have changed the pollen filter today, but i needed to remove on a few bolts of the dash so there is some movement for me to remove the pollen filer box to change the filter.

All is done car is well :).

Thanks
Ming

Shaun

***StaGGeRed***
Hi peeps,

Just to update, i have changed the pollen filter today, but i needed to remove on a few bolts of the dash so there is some movement for me to remove the pollen filer box to change the filter.

All is done car is well :).

Thanks
Ming

Good news! (Y)