Heater Motor

Hi,

My resistor card for my heater has gone and I am going to have to replace it as it looks beyond a bit of soldering. I also took off the heater fan to check it is OK. When I spin it it turns with some steady resistance and when I spin it it always comes to a halt within 1 second. Does anyone know if this sounds like it is OK (I guess the magnets will act like a brake). I am going to get a new resistor from a scrap yard tomorrow but I dont want to blow it as the motor is to stiff. Also I do not know how to get the fan off the front of the motor to lubricate it. If anyone has any ideas they will be appreciated,

Regards,
Jim

it should spin freely with a min resistonance may be wise gettin the fan aswell or compare it to the scrap yard one

There is a removable cap on the end of the fan motor.
This will give access to the fan motor bearing.
Drip some odourless oil into the bearing and leave for an hour or so to penetrate the bearing. You need to do this with the fan removed as it needs to be turned upside down.

For the resistor card, if speeds 1, 2 and 3 do not work it is most likely the thermal fuse that has corroded.
Scratch either side of the 'blob' on the card to expose clean copper. Add solder to join both sides.

I did both of these on our Micra about 18 months ago with no problems since.

Thanks for the info. I checked my resistor card and the connection across the solder was OK still but other wires were coming off the card. I therefore lubricated the fan as mentioned and then got a new resistor card from a scrap yard (£10) and all is now fine.

Back