Heat shield question......

gam1984

Professional lurker.....
Well having recently taken my car for a service, I was told that the heat shield was split.

I've been hearing some rattling under the car for sometime now and had a look a few weeks ago and couldn't spot any problems with the heat shield, although I didn't really look at it very closely fwn

Anyway, I've been quoted £17 plus labour to have it welded or £65 for a new one. Having done a search though, it seems a lot of people have just taken it off completely.

So my question is, will my car still pass an MOT without the heat shield on, and would removing it cause me any problems?

Thanks in advance :)

Fordy

Ex. Club Member
it wont effect the mot if it is taken off and there isnt any problems from removing them

tbh just remove it and chuck it in the bin

Bence_Fs

Wha Tank
Fordy said:
it wont effect the mot if it is taken off and there isnt any problems from removing them

tbh just remove it and chuck it in the bin

totally true, had the same problem a few weeks back so i ripped it off and got the car mot'd the next week.

sailed through without it so you definitely dont need it mate

Allan

Ex. Club Member
Just to echo all the above, charging you for a new heat shield, thats comical. As soon as i hear a rattle, it just gets taken off and binned.

OP
OP
G

gam1984

Professional lurker.....
5ilver Micra said:
Roflmao....£65 to buy and fit a new heat shield....i would jus take it off mate like Fordy says ;)

Thats the Kwik-Fit bandits for you unfortunatly. Tried to sell me 2 new tyres I didn't need while I was there too. Cheeky sods.

Thanks for all the replies anyway, very useful. I'll just be binning it then :)

i have the same problem in my car ffs just never get the time to get under and rip it off, i have the one round the manifold off tho it was in bad state lol.

gam1984 said:
Thats the Kwik-Fit bandits for you unfortunatly. Tried to sell me 2 new tyres I didn't need while I was there too. Cheeky sods.

Thanks for all the replies anyway, very useful. I'll just be binning it then :)

Lol Looks like there not getin any work if there tryin to sell you things you dont really need.