Heat shield question (again)

Hi everyone........
This is a heat shield question...........Is there a best advice as to how to stop them rattling, they sound like a bag of nails jangling around..........I have read other posts on here. It seems most people just remove them (I am talking about the two piece heat shield about the exhaust system).

I suppose the heat shields don't have too much heat to deal with on a small car such as a micra but they did put them there so Nissan must have seen a need for them.

Unusually the bolts were all ok when I took them off on (only just mind) they are now covered with oodles of coppergrease so removing them would be a two minute job but if possible I would like to keep them on.

Something like rubber spacer washer both sides of the heatshield? Or similar?

Anyone know the secret of how to stop the rattle?

Thanks everyone etc.
Tom

Everyone - Thx for the replies

Alpina - exactly why I don't particularly want to just remove it.

So, anyone out there have a solution? I know this is a very common prob ..............

thx
Tom

I originally took mine of after tightening it then loosened and re-tightening it again and again it got to be like a game the car was playing with me!! So I took it off at the end but I guess if you change the bolts and add washers under the shield to give it a little clearance on three of the bolts a retighten it using new bolts and see how it goes there's always a way!!

J

nathan.warren69

Ex. Club Member
Funny this should pop up, Ill be taking a hammer to mine later to bend them a little as they are now banging on the exhaust about half way down and its driving me insaine..

:mad: rattle rattle rattle:mad: sorted mine by removing bolts an put in new washers n greased up n re tightened all good now but for how long???

Why do you have to go and touch them? I don´t understand....

The car works just as well without the heat shields which are in the exhaust.

ok, run your car hot up to temperature then touch the heat shield and tell me what you gonna feel!!!! and dont forget to let us all know!!!

J

--alpina-- said:
ok, run your car hot up to temperature then touch the heat shield and tell me what you gonna feel!!!! and dont forget to let us all know!!!

J

Yea you know what? I was about to touch before so I almost burn my hands!

You should give them a good advice. Not very stupid comment!

Immy said:
:mad: rattle rattle rattle:mad: sorted mine by removing bolts an put in new washers n greased up n re tightened all good now but for how long???

You can do immy's idea

Or

Thomas..., you can remove these heat shields when it's cold. Never and never remove them when it's hot. Don't say that they are warm! It's hot.

I removed mine when it's cold. Its much better since feb 2012. Got no problem at all. ( I do change new exhaust parts in every 2/3 years.)