Headunit suffering from alzheimers

Hi folks!

Noob here. I see a few threads asking about headunit changes but I've found none that answer my query.

I bought and had someone fit a JVC headunit, to replace the factory fitted one in my Nissan Micra K11 n-reg 1.3 GX.

It works ok.. ish.

I used an iso converter from e-buyer.com, namely a PC2-13-4 and it fits and does the job. The only thing I can't suss out is why, whenever the ignition is switched off, the radio loses it's memory?

I can set a station to a preset, turn the radio off and turn back on with the ignition on and it recalls the stored preset. So it's not a fault with the radio.

Now, as far as I can tell, there's no seperate black wire going to the chassis (however, I've yet to have a proper look myself) but then there's none of the weird fuses blowing or lights not working properly - they all work fine. Whether this needs doing, I'm not sure. What I'm even less sure of is which black wire is it??

Also, is there a wire in the wrong place on the iso converter, as I'm pretty sure the headunit should be remembering radio station presets from one day to the next.

Here's hoping some kind soul can help me out.

What I can do is post a list of what wire is going where, when I have a look.

check that the wires (colour) line up, sounds like you are missing the ignition wire from the nissan side. It's normally blue.

Also i would strongly recommend you make your own earth wire as k11's oem units are earthed through the aerial. This is the black wire

Swap the red and yellow wires around on the wiring harness/adapter. One is ignition and one permanent live, they're the wrong way around.

:)

Thank you everyone, I'm very grateful for your kind help. I'll get those two wires swapped round and see if I can suss out the black grounding wire. While I've got it out to change the wires around, is there somewhere in the gap I can safely attach the ground wire?

Thank you everyone, I'm very grateful for your kind help. I'll get those two wires swapped round and see if I can suss out the black grounding wire. While I've got it out to change the wires around, is there somewhere in the gap I can safely attach the ground wire?

yes, earth it to the metal frame that the original stereo screws to, thats where the original takes most of it's earth feed from, although the aerial, acts as an earth, you'll find it's not strong enough and will switch off the stereo if you turn up the volume very loud.

I found the original mounting points, but not before taking some of the dashboard apart, and screwed an earth wire into one, which has hopefully done the job (don't know tbh as I don't have the music on too loud).

Well, I've changed the yellow and red wires around on the iso to din harness and the headunit is now remembering preset stations.

But, it won't switch off when the ignition is switched off, meaning it has to be turned off manually. I'm sure it's one wire that needs changing, but I'm not sure which.

The blue wire on the harness doesn't connect to a wire on the 'Nissan/car' side.

Can anyone help a poor noob out?

Back