Headlight alarm and park lights problem, could someone help me, please.

Good day to all.

First of all, I'll introduce myself.
I'm a Frenchman and proud owner of a 2002 Micra (un-modded, sorry for that :) ).
I've come here since after many searches across the web, I've found the advices given on this forum seem to be the best ones I could find around.
I'm not trying to flatter you, ladies and gents, if it weren't true, I wouldn't take the time to write here.

To make it as short as possible, here is my problem.
I got my car back from the garage yesterday - although not mechanically illiterate, the subject's not my forte either - and, surprise, surprise, my car's turned into a intermittent christmas tree.

Symptoms:
When the ignition key is turned - motor not running yet - , the park lights and the dashboard are lit. Happened to me once before and I fixed the problem (a rear light which had died). More on this further below.

The door ajar/headlights on sound alarm doesn't work anymore. Instead, when flicking the headlights on/off with the door open, a clicking sound comes from inside the driver's door.

As I was doing the on/off test, my warning lights came to life and flashed twice. They flashed again once, while the ignition was off, the key in my hand and myself about 15 feet away from the car. Uh-oh.

Central lock: ok using the key in the lock but only works on opening when using the key as a remote.

Winston Churchill talks to me through the radio.
Nah, just kidding about that last one.

since yesterday, I only have the park lights problem. The funny warning thing did happen to me at the same time (1 or 2 years ago) as the previous park lights issue.

Checked:
- fuses
- lightbulbs

Nothing I've missed, I think, except if there is a tricky part some of you might know.

Since I need the car to do the 30 daily miles to and from the workplace, I'd try and fix the problem myself rather than leaving it in the hands of the mechanics, especially since it started when I got my car back from him. Might have nothing to do with the guy but I won't take any chance.

Thanks in advance to the ones among you who might try and help me

Your English is impecable... I only wished my French was as good as it used to be :(

what work was being carried out by the garage? you could have a short on the circuit or damaged wiring from the work you've had done?

Nationality doesn't rhyme with lineage :laugh:

One half of little ol' me comes from Glasgow.

About the garage: nothing exceptional, mainly an oil change and a general check-up which showed up nothing (except the problem which *I* noticed).

So it could be anything from:
1 - coincidence
2 - my mechanics being a crook
3 - bad luck

Yes!
Problem solved!

How?
###### knows!

I was driving on my way home when my park lights and the dashboard went off.
One arrived, I checked: everything is back in order. Just dandy.

Sorry I couldn't bring any logical explanation but as for now, I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I'll keep an eye on the forum, however, you guys are doing an impressive job on those wee cars ;)

Back