head unit to rca adapter??

Hi all, apologese in advance if this has been asked a million times.

I asked a while back about putting an amp and sub in my micra k11, and having no knowledge on the subject myself I was happy with the response I got, but everyone said I would need to get a new head-unit in order to have such a set-up, i have a kenwood head-unit, nothing special but not stock. It has no rca outputs so you would think it won't be much good, but........

Having looked on the internet i found there were such things as head-unit to rca adapters (i.e converts all the small wires in the block attachment into the back of the head-unit, into two rca sockets). There are a couple on ebay so i wanted to ask if anyone can tell if this will work or not, or maybe someone who has experience in using them.

Here is the ebay link:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RCA-Car-Audio...3|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

Thanks in advance guys

ollyc98

Ex. Club Member
That second one is only good down to 40Hz so you won't get fantastic bass.
Have you got an aftermarket stereo? If so the wire colours behind the stereo will match up to that first unit making wiring simple

OP
OP
L
Yeah i got an aftermarket kenwood. Sorry for all the questions but im a little confused as to what all the little wires in the block do?? Presumably you only use some of them in the first converter? I thnk i will understand when I know what all the wires do!

Just found this wiring diagram, which ones will I need for the first adapter i posted on ebay?
http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/Nissan-Wiring.pdf

BG101

Ex. Club Member
If the amp is taking its output from your existing stereo, then the only thing you really need to worry about is if the amp is designed to be run off speaker outputs, bearing in mind line level signals are 1 or 2v P-P into a high impedance. I assume the RCA-output adaptor leads have suitable resistors which will deal with this.

BG

ollyc98

Ex. Club Member
The box takes your high voltage speaker signal and makes it smaller so the amp can cope with it.

You're aftermarket stero should have 4 pairs of wires (green, purple, white and grey), these are the speaker outputs and connect to the block giving you 4 RCA outputs, if you only want 2 RCA outputs connect it to 2 pairs and leave the other wires on the box disconnected. I think the rear colours are purple and green but you may need to double check this as it's been a while since I've wired an ISO unit

OP
OP
L
Sorry I have another nooby question!

Is this the flow of data/music in a system i would create?:

Head unit ----> Converter mentioned previously ----> Amplifier ----> Sub and speakers

Also can you give me some ideas of the sort of amplifier and sub I should be looking to purchase i.e values and brands etc