Head removal

pork

Club Member
Trying to remove head, before I start, (novice questions here!)
What thread is on the crank pulley?
Will it be easier to take engine our?

Anything else I should do?

OP
OP
pork

pork

Club Member
Yeah, you do and its a real pita, especially if like me you have sausage fingers! o_O

Jus found this out the hard way, what a fookin chore that was!!
Only got the top half off, took note off where the pulley lined up,
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349883954.304984.jpg

.....so I should be able to put new head on in the same way......right?? :)

OP
OP
pork

pork

Club Member
I can't get the last bolt out! I've been trying for ages so got the two I could and turned the mount out of the way.

Belt was done in 2004 and has only covered 2000 miles since then so I think it'll be fine ( fatal last words!)

I can't get the last bolt out! I've been trying for ages so got the two I could and turned the mount out of the way.

Belt was done in 2004 and has only covered 2000 miles since then so I think it'll be fine ( fatal last words!)
For how much a belt costs I would do it while you're taking head off. Then I suppose while you're doing belt water pump may be worth a look too ;)

OP
OP
pork

pork

Club Member
Il have to have another go tomorrow.
Can't get pully off, can't get mount off.........RAGE!!
Everything's rusted and even if I look at a bolt the wrong way, it rounds or snaps off

Who said working on old cars is easu

Il have to have another go tomorrow.
Can't get pully off, can't get mount off.........RAGE!!
Everything's rusted and even if I look at a bolt the wrong way, it rounds or snaps off

Who said working on old cars is easu
Wait while you get onto headbolts then, particularly the ones directly above the exhaust manifold!! :(

Gunna spray a scan of wd over tgem and leave it a while

Or any other tips?
You got the right socket for the headbolts? Iirc its a 12 sided 12mm socket (I think) and the front three bolts may well be rusted into the block and will scare the crap out of you while undoing them!! Make sure you tap and clean thoroughly!

OP
OP
pork

pork

Club Member
It's off, looks bit nasty, what you think?

I'm not using this head, got a ma12 head goin in its place which is as goods as new now.
How should I go about cleaning the pistols? Or not worth it?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350487229.923706.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350487240.891303.jpg

skymera

Brutal Honesty
I've always been told to replace them as they can be affected by the heat from the block and head.

Never done this myself but I'd get replacement bolts.

OP
OP
pork

pork

Club Member
Dammit ;) spose.the fact that I'm slapping on the turbo won't help

Jus being impatient, got no money at all till end off month for new bolts, and everything is ready to bolt on

Aaaaaa!!!!