head lights (help)

my off side head light ahs stoped working it is not the buld and so has got to be the weiring. Is there any none falt with the light and if so what to do?

thanks

andy88

Ex. Club Member
don't know if theres a common fault but Ive had to change the plug on one of my headlights due to it melting

Shaun

***StaGGeRed***
it could just be that its old get yourself a voltmeter and check it out at several point my wiring inside the bulb connector was knackered just repaired it with one from the scrappys :grinning:

good luck (Y)

Shaun

***StaGGeRed***
Apologies for digging up a thread rather than starting a new the car has developed a weird lighting issue here it is: turn car over and turn headlights onto driving light and only the passenger side is on and can hear a slight buzzing coming from the left hand side of the engine bay (from inside) get out wiggle the connector on the drivers side and it suddenly comes to life, sometimes when I turn the lights on the high beam light lights up on the dash but high beam isn't actually on but the fogs/driving lights are on another wiggle on drivers side makes it return to normal?! Any suggestions on what to check other than the interior fuse box? Sorry for the long message!

Shaun

Shaun

***StaGGeRed***
where are the main earthing points in the k10 is there more than one? the haynes manual is very confusing in the wiring diagram section!

andy88

Ex. Club Member
sed take the headlight connector off the bulb and see if its melted, mine did exactly the same thing with the main beam light in the dash, was the drivers side headlight plug melted

nexussteve

The reason you're happy!
There's an earth from the negative on the battery and one tiny braid from the front of the engine to the front of the chassis.

...IIRC :p

Shaun

***StaGGeRed***
ok sounds like it could be the plug melting but wouldnt this prevent it from coming on at all? mine comes on once its wiggled! lol ill have a look at the weekend when im fitting wheels! (Y)

ok sounds like the earths are easy to get to so will have a look at them too!

thanks again guys! :)

andy88

Ex. Club Member
yes mine was the same, but it did it during the mot:doh:

the problems the melted plug cause on mine were

drivers headlight not working
main beam dash light illuminating slightly
driving lights on with dipped beam
one of the relays constanly clicking on dipped beam

luckly my moter has a soft spot for k10s and let me fix it there and then during the test

Shaun

***StaGGeRed***
exactly the same shnizzle lol shnizzle ok so how does one go about replacing the plug? if i got one from the scrappies? do they just pop undone or do i have to use some cheesy blocks (connectors)

andy88

Ex. Club Member
heres wot happend to my plug
P250210_17130004.jpg

P250210_17140001.jpg

RTLkyuubi

Ex. Club Member
Does anyone know which pin that is? If its the earth pin that keeps melting, it means you have a bad earth (poor earth means high resistance and melting the connection) and need to unbolt them and clean them up with a bit of sandpaper.

Or I could be wrong and its the heat of the bulb, but it would be a bit odd that it only melts 1 connection.

frank

Club Member
Does anyone know which pin that is? If its the earth pin that keeps melting, it means you have a bad earth (poor earth means high resistance and melting the connection) and need to unbolt them and clean them up with a bit of sandpaper.

Or I could be wrong and its the heat of the bulb, but it would be a bit odd that it only melts 1 connection.

its just corrosion in the plug basicly, hence the problem arising as the car gets older :grinning:

Shaun

***StaGGeRed***
well ill be taking a good look tomorrow hoping the weather gets better! cos i want to test fit my new alloys!!!!