head lights diming

micras69

Deactivated Account
was driving around and the head lights dimed to side lights and when i put the high beams on the lights totaly cut out.

anyone know why this may happen? save me the hassele going over the car to find out whats up with it :D

i think the car has a serous falt in the wireing/ecu the rad didnt come on at all, changed all sensors and the likes. the rear off side light cluster didnt work. the lights behind the speedo just turn on and off when they see fit and now the lights grr

i gess after calling this k11 frankenstien...its starting to live upto its name :doh:

Test the output of your alternator should be around 13.5v, sounds like your alternator cant take the power drain when the headlamps are on

superls

K10 Tuner
by hi beam do you mean dipped beam or full beam?

anything else go off with the lights? does it coencide with anything, a pothole or similar? how long are they switched on before they go off? how long does it take before you can turn them back on, if at all?

i take it you have checked the fuses?

Test the output of your alternator should be around 13.5v, sounds like your alternator cant take the power drain when the headlamps are on

I checked Autodata today for you and they say:
alternator output should be 14.1-14.7v,
also alternator output @ engine speed is 65A/14v@5000RPM

Did you try a voltage output with your headlamps or rear window heater on?

OP
OP
micras69

micras69

Deactivated Account
i was just driveing slong at 30 and noticed the light dim on they were on diped beams then i clicked the stalk foward to engage the high beam and the light went out altogether. it did this for about 10mins then it was all ok and it hasnt done it since nothing like pot holes made the lights behave this way and as far as i know nothing elce was affected

i ran the car with all that i could think of on, head unit, lights, wipers ect ect. and the connecters to the light are fine.

cheers for the help btw guys

hmm just cause i had 2 dodgy headlight connections which made my driving lights come on main beam. if was ####ed up lol

Now you mention it Stani, I had to replace those connectors on my wee sister's micra about 4 yrs ago (I robbed the replacements from a Toyota Starlet, guess what: no bother since) lol