Head gasket related question - liquid gasket sealant

Salut,

I want to try a liquid gasket sealant, if only as a temp fix so I can keep driving whilst I accrue replacement parts, skills and mostly, confidence to repair manually.

Re my previous post on a leaky head gasket; How can I tell if the oil is contaminated? Apparently these sealant products will absoulutely destroy the engine if they get in to the oil/engine case so I'm trying to ensure that the only leaks are coolant and piston areas. How do I do this?

There is no obvious white residue on the oil cap, so am i safe to assume that there is no mixing of coolant and oil?

What else should I check?

Thanks

Salut,

I want to try a liquid gasket sealant, if only as a temp fix so I can keep driving whilst I accrue replacement parts, skills and mostly, confidence to repair manually.

Re my previous post on a leaky head gasket; How can I tell if the oil is contaminated? Apparently these sealant products will absoulutely destroy the engine if they get in to the oil/engine case so I'm trying to ensure that the only leaks are coolant and piston areas. How do I do this?

There is no obvious white residue on the oil cap, so am i safe to assume that there is no mixing of coolant and oil?

What else should I check?

Thanks

I would have a good read up here first

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steel-Seal-Repairs-Gaskets-Cylinder/product-reviews/B003MQWHUA

Also worth looking on you tube .....

I have to agree with SuperUno on this too, it will work but its designed to plug holes, once its in there thats pretty much it. I see a lot of cars where people have used it and you can see all the copper/steel material in the expansion tanks and stuff, thats always a good thing to look for when buying a car I find too.

These are a recipe for disaster, go slow get a good manual and you'll be fine doing it yourself. Even a 2nd hand engine would be a better than the liquid rubbish

Back