Head Bolts question

i think you can re use them but i always buy new last time it cost me £15 for the set from a motor factors (on a mates 1.2l k10)

the bolts that hold the rockers in also have a letter inprinted. i would guess its a nissan thing ie for this u use bolt M or N

I am no a very very unhappy bunny!! I've refitted the head as per instructions and the dozy info supplied by hayned on the two stages of the bolts (never known to loosen head bolts after torquing them then 2nd stage torque)

Stage 1 : 25-29lb (Done)
Stage 2 : Loosen stage one then retorque 43-47 (Done)

I'm fairly confident this is a miss print if anyone can correct this please do as my engine was unhappy. She ran nicely after 10 mins there was a very interesting hissing noise, turned off to be met by a nice steam (yes steam) cloud coming from the air cleaner (You've guessed it the water is elseware and the oil looks like melted ice cream) I'm fairly sure the head bolts would need tightening to stage one loosening then retorque to stage one then stage two not as the haynes says only stage two.

Can anyone confirm this..

Charlotte (With a very unhappy engine)

right to torque down the head going by the nissan manual in front of me,

1, tighten all bolts (1-10) to 29 N.m
2, tighten all bolts (1-10) to 64 N.m
3, loosen all bolts completely
4, tighten all bolts (1-10) to 29 N.m
5, tighten all bolts (1-10) to 64 - 69 N.m or if you have a angle wrench, turn each bolt clockwise the specified number of degrees.

intake side bolts - 80 degrees
exhaust side bolts - 65 degrees

Excellent now that's what I thought Even though I don't like NM torque wrenches. Only reason I didn't go with my hunch and tighten both sequences is the cars bolts are so old some are snapping.

Thanks again charlotte

Problem found it was nothing to do with the head bolts I think the head is cracked!!! (Which is not good) I have water pouring in by the centre bearing on the head. I'm going to double check to see if it is cracked if so anyone got a head forsale?

Charlotte (getting very unhappy bunny time)

Back