Hazard switch bulb

Does anyone know where I can find the small bulb that illuminates the hazard switch and heated rear screen switch? I believe they’re called grain of wheat bulbs but I can’t find them anywhere.
I’d appreciate any help with this

OP
OP
M
Those first ones are very similar. They are 4mm wide and around 10mm long if I remember right so they’re just a bit small but not a million miles away. Would they have to be 12v? I presume they would be, a lot of them Seem to be 6v on eBay.

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
Those first ones are very similar. They are 4mm wide and around 10mm long if I remember right so they’re just a bit small but not a million miles away. Would they have to be 12v? I presume they would be, a lot of them Seem to be 6v on eBay.
As the cars electric system is 12 volts (rising to about 14 volts when the alternator is charging) I don't think that 6volt bulbs would last for much more than a few seconds at most before burning out......:rolleyes: 6 volt ones might suite some motorbike applications or where they are wired in series, like old fashioned Christmas tree lights, (wire 40 6v bulbs in series and you can run them on a 240VAC mains electric supply..)

Last edited:
you could use a 6v bulb with a resistor with a bit of math

volts = current * resistance

If they're all 6v on ebay there might already be a resistor in the circuit somewhere, or they might just be for a different car. You could use a multimeter to make sure what volts you have at the broken component

6 volts = 0.065 amps * resistance
resistance = 92.3 ohms

(12-6)/0.065

So if you bought a 6 volt LED, and a resistor that was as close to 92 ohms as possible, it would make the bulb last running at 12v. There would be a peak of 14v but I would think that an LED could take the surge better than the little incandescent ones cars used to have. To be on the safe side you could use a 123.1 ohm resistor which would protect against the 14v surging, however when running at 12v the light would be a bit dimmer

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
you could use a 6v bulb with a resistor with a bit of math

volts = current * resistance

If they're all 6v on ebay there might already be a resistor in the circuit somewhere, or they might just be for a different car. You could use a multimeter to make sure what volts you have at the broken component
They are NOT LED's, they are incandescent conventional bulbs with a tungsten filament, putting a resistor in series with an incadescent bulb would make the resistor get very hot, much easier to just fit the correctly rated ones instead, anyway, room inside the switches is seriously limited and even fitting an LED bulb with an external resistor would be a mission (power feed to the bulb is probably internal, with no external feed to put a resistor in......

Last edited:
OP
OP
M
Thanks everyone for the replies. I’ve managed to find them, they’re called MP02 bulbs which are 3mm in width and 8mm in length.
Obviously they can’t be bought singly and I now have lots of them left over so if anyone does need any, let me know and we can sort something out