Having trouble . . .

Hi again, a few of you may remember me joining a while ago. I'm 17 in December, all I want to do is insure a 1.0 k11 micra - no modifications.
So far its been terrible, the best quote I have found (from searching price comparison sites and plenty of other companies) is £4800, I've been quoted up to £7600 elsewhere!

Does anyone know any companies that offer reasonable insurance, you can't get much more basic than an unmodified micra fwn

Thanks.

Yeah, insurance premiums have rocketed, especially for small cars like Micras :(. Glad I got rid of mine just in time. Try Admiral, Adrian Flux, Sky (give them your quote from Adrian Flux, and they'll go even cheaper), and Direct Line - they seem to be pretty good for young drivers. Just try adding your mum and dad to your insurance, and say you'll only do a few thousand miles a year. It's also worth doing an advanced driving scheme like Pass Plus, as this can shave up to 10% of your insurance. It's definitely worth shopping around, but don't go with price comparison sites - the cheaper insurers aren't normally on there. And make sure you avoid Quinn and Swinton as well, they're prices are just ridiculous (even though they're supposed to be better for younger drivers).

You will be able to get it cheaper than £4800, but you'll be lucky to get it any lower than £2000, due to the type of car it is, and its age.

I never had a problem with swinton, adrian flux or admiral (<- I'm with now) avoid AA like the plague

As has been said put either your mum or dad on the policy also once you have the cheapest quote from all the comparison websites ring up the company cause mine dropped another £2/300

What you have to remember is comparison websites are brokers so they'll be more expensive than going directly to the company

Swinton quoted me £5600 for a 52 reg 1.2 Fiesta, and then £7000 for my Micra. I ended up paying Quinn £2000 to insure my Fiesta, and then £2000 again to insure my Micra. As soon as I went with Admiral, I was only paying £600, and then up to £750 with my mods. My BMW E46 318i SE saloon by comparison, will be £500 to insure fully comp next year - and that's with 6 points for speeding and a few mods. My Micra would have been £800. Just goes to show how big a difference the type and year of car makes to your premiums.

And Karl is right, while there are a lot of insurers who aren't on price comparison sites (they're normally cheaper), it's actually better to go with the cheapest quote you can get online, and then call them direct and redo all your details. It sometimes turns out cheaper. It's also worth seeing if they can beat other insurers. Confused.com is probably the best price comparison site, better than GoCompare or Comparethemarket. Try raising your excess, as well as getting a quote for fully comp as well as third party fire and theft. Fully comp sometimes turns out to be cheaper

Back