Having a few issues...

So as some of you know I'm new to the world of Micra. I picked up a K11 for really cheap that had a fair bit of cosmetic damage but seemed to run well.

So i fitted new alloys and tyres, new door handles and did some repairs to the paintwork and pulled out the bumper where the previous owner has a little parking incident.

The car has been a joy to drive and it's gone from a runaround till i can upgrade, to the love of my life. I honestly wouldn't upgrade for love nor money infact when I do I plan to keep this little beauty and is so much fun to drive. Anyway enough of the sweet talking (anyone would think my car could hear me!)

But... (isn't there always a but!) lately I've been having some problems. It starts every time on the button (see I've been picking up the lingo off you lot) (Y) But when I stop at a junction or at lights sometimes it cuts out. Like totally dies, but as soon as I switch off the ignition it starts first time?! This is causing me a lot of drama especially in rush hour traffic, I've found I can stop it cutting out by keeping it revved even when stationary. But this is obviously not a soloution.

My friend who lives local took a look at the car and scraped the terminals on my distributor cap and it seemed to fix it for a few days but he did say the cap terminals were really worn. So i've bought a new cap and am trying to fit it...I got the old cap screws out but cant get the cap out of position as there is not enough room to maneuver it out as space is limited. Any tips on how to get it out?

Also from reading what I've said do you lot think my problem is purely with the dizzy cap? Or might it be something more ?

Thanks for reading

MQ.

it sounds like an idle control problem to me MQ, the i/cv valve may be sticking and may need cleaning (its the one on the front of the throttlebody :grinning:)
or you could just increase the idle speed a bit

it sounds like an idle control problem to me MQ, the i/cv valve may be sticking and may need cleaning (its the one on the front of the throttlebody :grinning:)
or you could just increase the idle speed a bit

I have no idea where the throttle body is or the the i/cv calve looks like, but leave it with me I'll hunt around for images on google and see what I can find. I'll most likely come back with more questions for you Frank :grinning:

Could the fuel filter be dirty and slowly suffocating it, also the throttle body, maybe that wants a solder/exchange?

Should I swap out the fuel filter? I've seen this on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NISSAN-MICRA-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item587f8fac49

Its basically oil,air and fuel filters (new ones) for £16 delivered. That's quite a good deal right?

When you mention the throttle body, are u referring to the same bit of it that Frank mentioned (i/cv valve) ??

Is a solder exchange a part? Or is is something I need to sodler like with a soldering iron? Sorry if thats a dumb question. But if you don't ask you don't find out right! :blush:

hey mary_q you probobly no this but when changing rotor arm and cap remember where the leads go, get them mixed up and you will have a nightmare on your hands lol not serious just anoying getting them in right place again...... but i must agree with frank on the problems.... i had this problem and i changed

blugs
leads
dizzy cap and arm
fuel fillter
air filter

and cleaned all terminals and sprayed carb cleener in throttle boby.

i also use lucus fuel treatment to clean intectors and pipes.

hope your problem sorts

Ps. Frank, how do I increase the Idle speed?

stand on the drivers side under the bonnet and you will see a little box just under air filter. with like metel plate with a notch in it, basiclly loosen bolt move slightly and bobs you uncle....... if i can picture the engine right in my head thats it

Could the fuel filter be dirty and slowly suffocating it, also thethrottle body, maybe that wants a solder/exchange?

good answer does it do it strait away or when the engine gets hot ?MQ? does it kangaroo? if so it could be like mrmigs08 says the throttle body. mine has gone at the mo can only drive fast cant get stuck in traffic other wise problem

Back