Having a crisis (and not a 'Top Gear' crisis either lol)

Robb

Site Supporter
It is with much regret that im thinking about changing the lovely little micra for something else. I wont bore you with the details but lets just say life gets in the way sometimes. And now im 24 insurance is a little more agreeable.

Any peeps any thoughts/suggestions? Im thinking about a Primera GT, going to go check out their boards. Im semi serious lol but if i do then i'll be scraping for a few months, selling all my micra bits and selling the micra after i get something else.

Cheers

wow Robb. if you want to change then dont let anything stop you. i was in the same boat two weeks ago and i changed. only because ive always wanted a colt and it was a bargain!

the colts size is fine for me, still small ish. more power. cheap insurance etc.

look at what you need from your new car? bigger size for storage? looks? engine? like you say insurance shouldnt be problem etc. are you wanting to modify new car engine or exterior? have a think. have alook around. ul be fine :)

naps

aww, we,ll miss you robb :( if it was,nt for lpg, i would probably be driving a small commonrail turbo diesel, especially now the petrol/diesel prices are about level

The Micra will always be a starter car for people with a small percentage that keep them and create something like Nis and others have done, then the few that get the bug and buy one after another. We have seen quite a few over the last few weeks moving onto something else, just a natural progression.

If I could afford to run and insure a R34 Skyline, I wouldn't be driving a Glanza lol!

It's just a credit to everyone here that many stay on and use the forums even when moving onto another car.

The end of day you have to ask yourself, does you current car tick all boxes for your current needs? if it does then why not keep it for a while, if not then look at something that does.

There are the obvious options if you want more power, handling, looks etc with modifying your current car, but if you want something larger and with a better base to work from, then that's choice you need to make.

My thoughts on your age with insurance is to wait until you hit 25, only a year and then your insurance will come down even further.

Kev

Awww thanks everyone, ive been scrutinsing it for a few months now. Im not going anywhere yet! :) It might be worth waiting 'til im 25 Kev good point there.

Unfortunately its just one of those things, my fiance (who doesnt drive) thinks i need to change for something safer and more 'grown up' and thinks that we wont be able to afford to next year as we'll be married and hopefully have a roof of our own etc. Now i can either tell her she's wrong or use it as an excuse to change up while i would have a bit more choice. Thing is also im 24 but i still feel 20 and this is very much due to what i drive, question is, is that a good thing or a bad thing?

I wish I still felt 20! (I do in my head but what's below it doesn't always agree) :p

Everyone who's been in my Micra has positive things to say about it, so it can't be bad .. plus if they didn't feel safe they wouldn't get in again! I'm 37 BTW ;)

BG

i cant ever see me upgrading
-until i need to stop paying maintenence and pay off my debts, i need something that costs buttons to run.
age 47 BTW -going on 20

Mods so far ... tin of polish

get an audi, or a bmw,and keep the micra as a hobby cos lets face it,you will get #### all for it selling it.........

and audis keep there money and last forever

I think i need to sleep on it, my first post was a bit conclusive on reflection, its one of those things though, everyone i know has 'moved on' as it were and i feel sometimes that people dont take you seroiusly if you drive what i drive etc.

Maybe i need to just take a step back, i mean i was looking at the car the other day wondering why on earth i still have the reverse park sensors, doesnt exactly compliment the rude exhaust trim lol! Think i will attack it with sandpaper and glue and paint and see what happens. Might help me make my mind up.

robb dont go i will cry im managing to run my flat which i have bought and also run and modify my car as well as pay off my 3 loans and thats all by my self so i cant see how money will be an issue

i think if you do go you will regret it mate i was in the same boat as you i wanted to get an almera gti just because it was faster but then i thought about it how many modified almeras do you see or how many sr20de engines have been tuned compared to the micra i mean im 23 yes i should have a mint fast car like some of my other mates but at least i own my car and not the bank

The Primera GT is a quality car, get one!! Insurance isn't bad, I'm 24 with one, and insured fully comp, all mods declared, with Adrian Flux for about £550.

Very good car, reliable and comfortable, getting about 36-38 MPG out of it too, which isn't too bad for a big powerful car.

When your fiance becomes your wife, and if you upgrade to family status, then think of a family hatchback with a bit of sport, don't go down my route, Xantia Estate complete with towbar and top box :down: Civic not the Type R only do the 3 door version not the 5, nice car though, I was not allowed that choice, was offered a re-shell oppertunity but it was a NO :( and the Xantia came free :grinning:

Since my first Micra, we've had a C15 van (house move) Pug 306 a Felicia that never made it out the garage (still waiting for the scrap man) and the Xantia estate, comfy car, overly practical, 55mpg - can't complain too much!:grinning:

We're back with an additional Micra now, complete with baby seat in the back, our son loves it, we both drive it like a pocket rocket, (not yet pocket rocket status yet, feels like it compared to the Xantia though) it's great to return to a Micra, we have if you like come full circle.

Just be practical, go for what you like, think long term, service costs, parts costs, and how much fun you can have with it without it emptying your wallet!

Cheers, ive calmed down a bit since, i keep working myself up really badly as of recent, mainly because of my 'job' :D but i at the same time i should think meself lucky to have one at the mo. Anyway the micra wont be going anywhere soon :)

Back