Has anyone snailed a CG10DE coilpack engine?

I haven't seen one anywhere. It's a long way down the road in my mechanical self education, but I'd love to turbo my K11. Doesn't seem like it's as easy as just swapping in a CG13DE and going from there due to the coilpack / distributor difference and ECU problems. Got me thinking, would this throw up any other issues if one was to turbo a coilpack CG?

EDIT: Was just looking around at other coilpack Nissan engines of the same era, QG18DE / CG15DE could interesting and wouldn't even need choo choo if it could be shoehorned in :eek: Absolutely nothing came back in the search, but damn these things are CG prices.

Last edited:
Personally I wouldn't bother turboing a 1litre, when its the work of minutes to drop a CGA3 in, so I'd go that route.

However I appreciate they are rarer and hence more pricey than the CG13 so make a 1275cc coilpack hybrid engine!! As far as I'm aware the heads are the same (minus dizzy hole) so just drop your coilpack head onto a CG13 dizzy block so you get an extra 300cc and don't have to worry about wiring. Keep your coilpack flywheel and gb for crank sensors and ratios and your g2g!!

OP
OP
fooby
That sounds like a very good option. So if you were to run a CG10 gearbox and flywheel, you wouldn't need to modify any mounts?

I was also wondering if there was a coil pack CG13DE or if the few I'm seeing on eBay are in fact CGA3's labeled wrong?

frank

Club Member
aye, just bolt the 1.3 short engine to your bits fooby, pnp
but snail yours imo :) if you are only after cga3 hp figures then the stock injectors/maf/clutch etc would suffice, and the coilpack ecu is the self-learn type too

OP
OP
fooby
So I wouldn't need to invest in a standalone ECU? This is one of the main reasons doing a turbo seems uneconomical compared to a swap.

No need for mount changes between any of the CG engines, and alot of people refer to the 1.4 CGA3 engine as a coilpack 1.3 CG13 so probably.

IMO you'd still need some sort of mapping, whether it be Nistune, piggy-back or standalone yes, unless as frank says you want to run very very low boost then risk it on the self learn ecu

OP
OP
fooby
Well as a CG13DE can be had for under £200 and doesn't require any fabrication, that sounds like a good starting point for someone like myself with a bit of mechanical knowledge but nothing very advanced and no welding skills. That would certainly give me more confidence if I still wanted to snail it down the line, and I'd have the perfect base. Would the same ECU's people use on dizzy Micra's still work on the newer setups? Stani's looks like it was a second facelift but I can't see any of the pictures!

Last edited:
You can't use a dizzy ECU on a coilpack engine no, if that's what your asking! Keep your self learning 1litre ECU.

frank

Club Member
peak cylinder pressures are what kills the chocolate cg pistons, keep them within a certain threshold and they are bulletproof
a coilpack 1.0 running about 85 hp on the factory map is a goer imo :)

OP
OP
fooby
You can't use a dizzy ECU on a coilpack engine no, if that's what your asking! Keep your self learning 1litre ECU.
I mean Nistune, MegaSquirt etc. Because the ECU controls the coilpacks, would they still work? I suppose that raises another question - how well do Micra's take to remaps stock? Is there more to be gained without changing anything? I'm coming from VW's and Turbo Diesel engines where there were massive gains to be had, take it NA engines can't really be pushed much because there's nothing to push.

frank

Club Member
aye, easier gains to be had from tdi,s :) my 1.7 isuzu engine in a basic corsa c is 64hp yet the same engine in the later corsa d is 125hp (and they can easily be mapped to 160hp/350nm) same 16v 1.7 engine, just higher boost and commonrail technology

OP
OP
fooby
Great thanks for the replies! It'll be after Christmas once I've fixed some other niggles with the suspension, but the CG13DE block with my current coilpack head sounds like a good base. Sounds like a good time to sort out my cross member, do a cable tuck and sort out some minor engine bay rust! Definitely want to turbo, I just think I'll need a more stable income to deal with the unreliability associated with it as well as the initial fabrication.

SuperUno

Buy & Sell Member
The N/A's can make good power too! Our 1.4 CG3A made 126bhp on Ed's rollers (spec on www.mattendean.co.uk )

Going whole hog they can make 150bhp+

If it were me I would fit either a CG3A or 1.3 bottom end to what you have now, with the lower ratio 1.0 box this will be v fast compared to what you have now and then go turbo on this if you want more easy power.

Earlier in the year on a (very) wet stage rally I came 17th overall beating 3Ltr M3's and the alike with our little Micra, power is one thing, knowing how to drive is something else again.....