Has anyone done second FL to first FL conversion?

just wondering, as title says.

Prefer the facelift rear bumper, tailights, front bumper and everything about them mainly..

need new bumpers anyway and would like to change the rear and front to facelift along with a spoiler and backbox.. anyone got any idea if it will fit?

Thanks in advance, searched it :D

cool, it looks as if the front wings are the same i just assume i need the facelift headlights for the front bumper, prefer them anyway :)

Thanks a lot buddy

Everything is completely interchangeable I believe. You can even keep the 2nd facelift headlights with 1st facelift bumper - same fitment.

I did the headlight conversion the other way round changed my March Cabriolet's 1997 1st FL plastic oblique/crazed headlights for 2nd FL glass ones (in my opinion 2nd FL's are much better), there was 2 differences the bulb holders were different and would not retro fit into the 2nd FL unit and the plugs were totally different (could be because the Cabs were Jap spec)?

The 1st FL front bumper will fit the 2nd FL chassis but you will have to use the 1st FL bumper leg end stays to attach it to the 2nd FL chassis because the 2nd FL leg end stays will not fit the 1st FL bumper internal profile!

Hope the above makes sense?? :confused:

Andy :D

Yeah that makes sense mate thanks a lot, decided to keep the front all 2nd and remove the indicator shields from the headlight for the facelift non egg look.. Also keep the bumper as it looks better now I look at them more.. Defo up for changing the rear bumper though.. Really want the exhaust cutout and shape of it! Thanks for Info, appreciate it greatly!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah that makes sense mate thanks a lot, decided to keep the front all 2nd and remove the indicator shields from the headlight for the facelift non egg look.. Also keep the bumper as it looks better now I look at them more.. Defo up for changing the rear bumper though.. Really want the exhaust cutout and shape of it! Thanks for Info, appreciate it greatly!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have removed the rear bumper on my 2nd FL just to check for corrosion but not yet on the March Cab which is a 1st FL and has the exhaust cut-out!

When i swapped from 2nd to 1st fl i found all plugs were the same except the side indicators on the wings. Like you said must be jap spec

When i swapped from 2nd to 1st fl i found all plugs were the same except the side indicators on the wings. Like you said must be jap spec

The Jap spec1st FL March Cabriolet headlight plug was the same as the UK 2nd FL but the headlight indicator and side light were different:

1st FL Jap spec indicator on the left and 2nd FL UK spec on the right (crimped 2nd FL indicator ready to connect to wiring loom)!
P6071321.JPG

1st FL Jap spec sidelight on left and 2nd FL UK spec on the right
P6071323.JPG

The March Cabriolet rear tail light clusters fitted to mine are the same as UK 2nd FL units which I don't mind because the fog light is housed in the cluster unit unlike other March Cabriolets which has a fog light fitted in the rear bumper which looks a lot less neater and an after market unit! I have checked the inside of the rear bumper and there is no indication she ever had a fog light fitted in the bumper mind you she is an early 1998 model most March Cabriolets were manufactured in 1996 to 1997!

ah okay, i want to take out the orange shield over the indicator and replace with chrome indicator bulbs.. cant get the bloody things off the car :laugh:

It is best to remove the headlight unit from the chassis, first you remove the metal clips from the units edges and then use a heat gun to soften the sealant between the plastic unit body and glass lens then prise the unit apart carefully you must remove the indicator bulb and holder. The chrome surround is clipped in but easily removed to gain access to the rear of the surround and the inside of the orange indicator lens. On the inside of the orange indicator lens there is 2 small tabs at the top and bottom carefully prise these free and the lens should pop out!
P6291475A.jpg
P7011499A.jpg
P6281469.JPG
P6281471A.jpg

Hope this helps!

Hi mate there are 3 bolts and a grommet that connect the headlight unit to the chassis. One top bolt and 2 bolts on the rear of the light unit. I sprayed (colour coded) the headlight chrome inserts to match the March Cabs bodywork.
P6071319A.jpg

Don't forget to disconnect all the plug leads first!