• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Harlen's Bandwagon-Mobile MK2 MX5

Harlen

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Supporter
Yo yo yo, figured I'd stick a thread up on here as I haven't done one anywhere else yet :D This is my new whip after 8 or so months of riding the bus after selling my (trophy winning ;) ) Micra.

80awjNZ.jpg

It's the standard-ish spec 1.8, 140hp with a few options including (ANOTHER) **** dash wood kit, but with awesome tan seats, a factory wind break and chrome roll bar. Also has the 15" wheel option so no 14s on 800 profile tyres here.

cVkUV84.jpg

First things first with all new-to-me cars, a fresh service. Did the filters, fresh sump of oil. It was a bit rough on start-up and a bit down on power until warm, was recommended some 8mm plug leads to get it sparking properly and managed to get these USA spec Racing Beat ultras in dashing yellow and red nice and cheap on the Bay. The service did it wonders and I can now brake without worrying about going into the disk.

sKGYbEl.jpg

So naturally the thing you did with your new purchase is take it to the local drag strip for a thrashing. Best time was 16.4 seconds @ 85mph. About 1.5 seconds quicker than my old Micra SR. Blue one is my dads supercharged 10th anniversary. Fun fact: Despite tuning cars his entire life this was his first track day. It has taken him 2 weeks to order an intercooler, radiator bits, upgraded crank overlay and a clutch which is on the way. Welcome to the addiction, dad.

RAaFfkK.jpg

A quick shot showing the current state of my suspension... On the road it isn't boat like. It takes corners much much better than my SR ever could (as much as I hate admitting it). Can't imagine what it will be like when I fit some fresh coilies to it. Going for HSDs or Meisters if I can stretch to them, in a few months.

ODkepfR.jpg

De-woodifying the interior was high on the agenda, no disrespect to those who like a bit of silicon walnut but it just isn't my cup of tea. It all come off surprisingly easy actually.

So yeah that's my current whip. Absolutely chuffed with it, it isn't my first MX5 and I know I'll piss off a lot of people by saying this but the MK2 is leaps and bounds better than the MK1, in my opinion. For a very similar car it just feels much more refined. Although I can see why people prefer the rawness of the MK1.

I'm currently in contact with a new rim company in the states who are looking at hooking me up with the first set of their wheels outside of north america. So hopefully I'll be going a little outside the box with this.

skymera

Brutal Honesty
Welcome back brooski,

Outside the box is so difficult with such a scene wagon. (Says he with a Honda?)

I think you can finance HSD coilovers on 0% which will appeal to you. I'm waiting for a set of MeisterR's myself after hearing great reviews :)

OP
OP
Harlen

Harlen

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Supporter
Welcome back brooski,

Outside the box is so difficult with such a scene wagon. (Says he with a Honda?)

I think you can finance HSD coilovers on 0% which will appeal to you. I'm waiting for a set of MeisterR's myself after hearing great reviews :)

I know what you mean mate! Everything is so 'been there done that' that it's hard to really step out and do something different. We'll all make it one day though :D I've been eyeing up the 0% finance for a long time, I'm a student but I reckon a very kind mate might do it in their name for me. For now though I'm just saving up! MeisterRs are the best you can get apparently, can't go wrong :) I hear they also do Finance?

very nice harlen :cool: 16.4 secs ! pffft get that diff welded mate

Cheers Frank! My pa was embarassing me running in the l0w-mid 14s all day. Not sure if I'll go the welded diff route just yet :D

OP
OP
Harlen

Harlen

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Supporter
Busses? *shudders* don't know how you survived so long :p

Nice to see you on the forum again.
Aiming for a trophy winner here too then? ;)

Neither do I! Nobody else make the same mistake I did, save like piss if your job is on a tight rope. I fell off and was forced to sell to survive. Life's much better now though :D No more hour long waits in the rain. And trophies for days please :D

This post makes me happy :D

Bus? You mean the peasant wagon?

Honestly couldn't put it better myself mate