Handling problem

Turtle

Ex. Club Member
Hi guys,

My super S has this same problem (vibrating at 70+) and Im pretty sure its not the wheels (they were balanced when purchased in october, and the old wheels did exactly the same)

I think its a front wheel bearing perhaps? Since at the last MOT these had to be regreased. Where could I get myself some new bearings?

Thanks guys

Here's another radical thought.... in-case the balancing leads to a dead end (again?)

on one of the drive shafts( the longest one i think?) there is a rubber bush/wheel/balance/damper? thingy..(if anyone knows the name and purpose it would be appreciated)

Anyway, I was thinking that perhaps yours is damaged or twisted or a chunk might be missing from it....I think this could also cause vibration at high road speeds...if it is bust.

It could be worth a a quick visual inspection...may be fondle/grope it a bit too in-case it is crumbling or split

good luck

yea, mine has the same problem... it rattles pretty harshly once i break 70mph... at about 85 it starts to lift off o_O but my front struts are demolished, so i'm going to get them replaced (thank god for mechanic friends who do odd jobs for cheap) and i'll tell you if that makes a difference eh?

Its old rubber - buy some fresh tyres! I bet the old rubber is well out of shape, I had same problem and balancing did not help as rubber was much distorted.

Its old rubber - buy some fresh tyres! I bet the old rubber is well out of shape, I had same problem and balancing did not help as rubber was much distorted.

Thats what the garage said to me before I got my alloy wheels. I havn't had these tyres checked for deformation but yeh, it could be that.

The most bizare thing about it is how the vibrations come in waves... like pulses of vibration. It'll vibrate like crazy at 80 then a second later be really smooth, then vibrate again, even with speed constant.

My K10 has same thing it started vibrat at 120 km/h, ander or ower that speed it stoped and it kame from the side where the longer drive shaft is with this rubber bush which is damaged.

The most bizare thing about it is how the vibrations come in waves... like pulses of vibration. It'll vibrate like crazy at 80 then a second later be really smooth, then vibrate again, even with speed constant.

mine does exactly the same, waves of vibration at 70+ a wave every 2 seconds lasting about 1 1/2 seconds each, mine seem to be coming from the rear end though.

OK i'll check that rubber thing when I paint my calipers soon, need a dry weekend.

Dont think its road surface though Alan, its just as described by these guys too.

I'm gunna get my friend to check out all my bushings when he changes my two front struts *excited* and if they need to be redone then hell, i'll get it done at the same time... as i said before i'll post here whether i can break 80mph without my front end shimmying a foot lol... twould be nice if it eliminated the vibration though..it gets fairly annoying eh? the one thing i haven't checked though is my tyres... they could be way outta whack considering my struts have been pooched for over 6 months now:laugh:

not mph is it? man, i wouldn't dream of going that fast in my micra lmao 90mph is definately my limit... if i had wings on it, it would probably lift off the ground lol

I hope all these speeds are tested on private roads, otherwise dont brag about going above 70...

i test on highways... the average speed on a highway is about 120-140 KM/H so it kinda sucks when i'm trying to keep the minimum and my steering wheel is wobbling like jello sitting on top of a paint shaker... and arnold, i've been 170km/h on a back street in the country, but that was with my mom's hyundai sante fe lol

Back