Handbrake not working properly for turns..?

Ceirwan

Ex. Club Member
I have a problem,
At the club where i go sailing, since its got a large carpark with usually not to many cars in it, i like to zoom in and handbrake turn into a spot. However the other day when i tried it the car stayed resolutely gripped to the surface and i nearly ended up in the lake!

The handbrake works fine when parked and if i pull it on in a straight line it locks up the wheels, but if i try and do a handbrake turn, i can hear the wheels locking up but the arse of the car just drags as opposed to flicking round, does anyone know what might cause this? (i.e. one wheel locking not the other)

Cheers!

with mine i found with wider wheels it drags, but before with the little steelies it whipped about like crazy...

handbreak turns are fun but i really dont want to roll mine as its like a monster truck atm with 14s on there...

You should turn in faster and yank it harder, body roll is an issue if you're using a faster entry speed.
Use your private gravel yard for practice like I do ;)

My h/brake is complete rubbish too, but I expected that's just because it's a micra with drum rears. My S13 had an amazing h/brake and so did the old sunny zx I had... I kind of got used to nissan having good h/brakes so was dissapointed to find this one was so poor.

Should I expect handbrake turns to be fairly easy as so far, all I've ever had happen is my car slow down unless I'm really overly aggressive which defeats the whole fun of them.

i done this in the works car park in my cavalier, the last time i done it i came in too fast and the carpark is covered in type 1 gravel, well i just slid along sideways and hit the fence, knocking down 6 heras fencing panels, rofl, it was great fun

My h/brake is complete rubbish too, but I expected that's just because it's a micra with drum rears. My S13 had an amazing h/brake and so did the old sunny zx I had... I kind of got used to nissan having good h/brakes so was dissapointed to find this one was so poor.

Should I expect handbrake turns to be fairly easy as so far, all I've ever had happen is my car slow down unless I'm really overly aggressive which defeats the whole fun of them.

yes they are quite easy, I've more experience of playing on mud / grass than the road but have done them on tarmac too. The most important thing to do is make sure you have that turning momentum first - if you don't, you won't pull off the turn. And keep your foot in whilst doing them. They are great fun once mastered and not that hard! But mine aren't perfect yet.... ;)

I don't want to come across too conceited but I'm pretty good at doing handbrake turns... :) now that I know that micra's *should* be able to do them I'll start looking for why mine doesn't lock the wheels up.

I don't know a thing about drum brakes so I better get learning I suppose.

Maybe one side of the handbrake has seased up, or got stretched. I hope all this handbrake activity is being done on private land too

Ok well i've narrowed it down, when i pull it on in a straight line only one of the rear wheels lock... Could it be that the pads need changing or is more likely something else..?

yeah check inside drum bud....cyclinder in center at the top! cant miss it! and behind check the pipes before they enter the hub!

Back